How can I get my previous system to work with my new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Jun 24, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I have just bought a new MBP.

On my old MBP ( 2010 ) - I was running Lion 10.7.4 ( latest ).

I have taken out my old hard disk from my old MBP - to use it as an external drive - so I have a complete copy of my files. I want to be able to boot from this drive.

Unfortunately - the new MBP won't recognise the drive as bootable* ( it mounts fine and I see all my files ).

I want to 'update' the system on this drive so it will run on the new MBP.

Is this possible and if so how?

Many thanks

:)

* As I understand it - this is due to the new MBP having a different chipset etc.
    making the system from my old MBP not functional ( despite being the latest ).

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Boot from your Recovery Partition and reinstall Lion onto that external drive. The MBPR ships with a special build of 10.7.4, which can only be installed through their own Recovery Partition.

jW

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks for the reply - I've found it's a special build much to my frustration.

I had thought about doing what you said - but don't really want a fresh install - I want all my programs / settings to run as they are now from my external drive.

Any way to do this?

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

By the way - it's not a Macbook Pro retina...but the latest 2.6 15" one I have

5. MRiOS macrumors regular

Why not run the migration assistant to transfer your files and apps to the new HDD? You can then reformat the old HDD and use it for storing files.