How can I get my USB drives to mount?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by videoflyer, Mar 10, 2009.

1. videoflyer macrumors newbie

I have an interesting problem in that my USB drives aren't mounting to the desktop. I've tried two separate flash drives and an external hard drive.

When I check Disk Utility, I can highlight the drives and click 'mount' and the 'mount' button will darken for a few moments as though things are working but then the button just returns to its normal state and the drive still does not appear on the desktop. Despite this, Disk Utility's log shows the message 'Mount of "xxxx" succeeded' every time.

Disk Utility sees the drives (obviously) and will verify them. Only mounting appears not to work.

Meanwhile, I can plug my Wacom tablet into the very same USB port and it (the tablet) works perfectly. My iPods and iPhone will sync just fine from the same port.

Why is this happening and, more to the point, what should I try in order to fix it? I know it's not a simple matter of restarting because I've done that a number of times already without success...no matter what Disk Utility says :rolleyes:

Hopefully,
    Neal

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I presume you've looked at a finder window to see if it's showing up, not just desktop?

3. videoflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I meant to mention that. The drives don't show up in Finder windows or on the desktop.

Meanwhile - and likely completely unrelated but I thought I'd toss it in here just in case - I'm finding all of a sudden (as in today) that CDs I burn via Toast or the Finder end up as "unreadable" on this workstation. But I can put the disc into my wife's old G4 tower and they're read without a problem.

Things seem to be getting awfully wonky here.

4. intelplatoon macrumors member

i also have an external HD that wont show up anywhere on my mac. but my USB ports work just fine for everything else. any responses on this thread would be helpful to me as well.........thanks....

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you only have one drive that behaves like this, the problem is probably with the drive itself. I'd suggest making your own thread where we can help you out.