How can I get over my MBP OCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtthwcmn1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I check my macbook Pro every day for an hour around every square inch of the machine to make sure it is perfect and has no blemishes. I haven't so much as let it leave my desk because I am worried about scratching it. I keep thinking something is wrong with the machine even though I check it every day consistently. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. simsaladimbamba

Are you suffering from a general OCD? If so, seek a doctor.

3. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

Not quite that bad. But I do kind of obsessively clean my MBP and iMac. But then again I'm a neat freak and I clean everything.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Sounds like a general problem in that case. I'd second what simsaladimbamba says: it is wiser to go see a doctor. They have better knowledge about these kind of things than the average internet user imo.

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Please don't call it OCD, call it anxiety. My uncle has OCD...

6. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

If I did have a Mac, I'd be doing what you'd be doing. Funny thing is, it just so happens that when you're too protective over it- you end up causing the scratch yourself.

[​IMG]

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If the OP is checking it consistently without reason for concern, that is OCD. The unnecessary compulsion to do something repeatedly and consistently is OCD, although I would consider this a very mild case that should be easily broken.

The definition of OCD: Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just relax and realize that it is just a machine. I baby my laptop, but I also understand its just a tool.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You'll get over it don't worry. When I first got mine I had the speck hard case, keyboard cover and moshi palm guard. One day I peeled all that stuff off, scratched the top with a coin, and i've been living wild ever since.

10. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I hear putting colored tape on the laptop in annoying places helps. Forcing yourself to leave it there should be very hard if you truly have anxiety/OCD.

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

I'm curious, do you have these symptoms for other things, or is it one thing at a time?

In other words, it's possible to have OCD for single objects rather than multiple objects concurrently, but you will have had these symptoms for an object previously, and will again obsess with others in time.

Anyway, we all have this malady to some extent, but if it causes discomfort it needs to be addressed.

(as if I know what i'm talking about)

Dern nice laptops though :D

12. kingshoc macrumors newbie

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Obsessive compulsive disorder is a complex medical condition that can and should only be diagnosed by a doctor or other trained medical personnel.

As simsa said, if you suffer from OCD symptoms in general, you should go and see a doctor.

If it is just related to your MBP, then you should probably sell it... maybe buy a used one, or a cheaper laptop from a different brand, or a Mac mini.

14. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

An hour every day? You said you don't move the laptop, so what do you think could possibly happen when it's just sitting there not being used or moved?

As others have stated, it sounds like a common OCD/OCPD condition. But no one here can determine that. You need a doctors diagnosis.

No, it's not normal to check your laptop for that long. Maybe a glance every so often IF you move it around the house or carry it with you.

15. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Sell it or burn it to avoid worrying about it so much.

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Whenever you're starting to think about checking over your MacBook, take a Xanax.

17. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Lol I wonder what would happen if your mom/sister/dog/whatever dropped or scratched it. I would not want to be that person.

18. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Put a small scratch on it, deliberately, on the bottom side. Nobody will ever notice it, but the fact that it's already scratched will relieve your anxiety about other, inevitable, future blemishes.

19. Woojun912 macrumors member

Macs are a beast machine generally. So I'm sure it can survive a couple scratches here and there. LOL.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Create a scratch on your computer. You won't be checking it all over anymore. You'll just see the scratch and know your computer isn't perfect anymore. :p

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that's the worst advise as the OP will be full of anxiety about the scratch. Heck, I would be.

I'd not recommend damaging/defacing your computer on purpose, doesn't matter if its a location where only you can see it. You'll no its there, plus there's more healthy ways to dealing with this issue instead of scratching your computer