How can I get read/write/delete access to my Mac from Windows, Mac GPU is fried

Discussion in 'macOS' started by techmonkey, Sep 13, 2008.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

My GPU on my MBP is fried and the only way I can access my MBP is from Windows. I can see all of the folders on my MBP, but I cant open some of the ones in root. There is a file I want to delete to see if it helps my problem (probably wont) but its worth a try. Its located here

/volumes/YOURHARDDISKNAME/private/var/vm

The file is called sleepimage. I can see the file, but cannot delete it.

Any ideas how I can get rights?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can connect to your mbp using ssh and do anything you could normally do in a terminal. An excellent ssh program for windows is putty.exe. Grab it, then connect to your mbp and cd /volumes/Your...etc.../vm and you should be able to type rm sleepimage or mv sleepimage NOTsleepimage ( I never really delete stuff when I'm not sure it's the problem).

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I downloaded Putty, but how do I ssh into my Mac? I tried typing in the IP address, but it comes up with "Connection Refused"

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You're not going to be able to ssh in if you don't have already have remote access enabled. Your best bet is to find someone else with a mac and connect to yours in target disk mode.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by deleting sleepimage.

5. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crap, I don't think I have it enabled.

I found this thread and wanted to try out the "fix" clemson47 posted towards the middle of the page.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1478474