Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Hi All,

I bought my MBP 2.8 second hand a few months back. The seller created an account under my name - which all works fine. He also left a bunch of graphics apps that I want to keep ( so I'd rather not re-install OS X ) - when I start the computer I get the log on panel - and just above the name field where you put in your account name, it says " Joe Bloggs Macbook Pro ".

How can I change this so it says my name?

cheers all
:)

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
HI GGJ :)

It's not the Home directory name I'm on about.

It seems to me that when you install the system - it assigns a name to the computer itself ( as well as giving you an account name ).

So if I install a fresh system, as part of the install I'm asked to enter various details ( name, address etc. etc. ). From this info it gives the computer a name - ie ' JBrowns Computer '. Then even if I change account holders names, that remains the same.

So although the seller set up the ( only ) account to reflect my name - the computer name is still under his name. It's this I'd like to change.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.