iPad How can I get rid of the update badge?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I intend to keep my retina mini on 7.1.2 but that little badge on the settings app is really annoying.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I intend to keep my retina mini on 7.1.2 but that little badge on the settings app is really annoying.
The only way to get rid of it is to apply the update. I'm staying on 7.1.2 on all my iDevices until iOS 8 matures a bit more. The badge is a small price to pay for a stable OS.

When iOS 7 was released, I remember the complaints about the update taking up space on devices whose users weren't ready to update. At that time, I thought Apple announced something about being able to reject the update and free the space, but I don't see any evidence of that being possible.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
That's by design. That white "1" on a red background burns an image into your soul... like the eye of Sauron you are drawn to upgrade.

Resist, Frodo! Resist! :)
iOS 8 update: I am here!
Me: You shall not pass!

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
this has got to be one of the funniest and most relevant discussion of that damned badge.....

thank you two for this. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
That's by design. That white "1" on a red background burns an image into your soul... like the eye of Sauron you are drawn to upgrade.

Resist, Frodo! Resist! :)
It's funny how we're brainwashed into keeping everything tidy and avoiding the Red Counter of Laziness. ("It burns! It burrrrrrrrrns!!!")

One the number goes high enough, the effect wears off. My email has a red number over 11,000 on it, and I've no intention of clearing all those off!

hanser

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
The only way to get rid of it is to apply the update. I'm staying on 7.1.2 on all my iDevices until iOS 8 matures a bit more. The badge is a small price to pay for a stable OS.

When iOS 7 was released, I remember the complaints about the update taking up space on devices whose users weren't ready to update. At that time, I thought Apple announced something about being able to reject the update and free the space, but I don't see any evidence of that being possible.
You can delete the downloaded update under General/Usage to free the space

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I just got the badge today and it doesn't bother me. It adds color to the bland grey gear icon. :p