iPad How can I get rid of the update badge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I intend to keep my retina mini on 7.1.2 but that little badge on the settings app is really annoying.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only way to get rid of it is to apply the update. I'm staying on 7.1.2 on all my iDevices until iOS 8 matures a bit more. The badge is a small price to pay for a stable OS.

When iOS 7 was released, I remember the complaints about the update taking up space on devices whose users weren't ready to update. At that time, I thought Apple announced something about being able to reject the update and free the space, but I don't see any evidence of that being possible.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's by design. That white "1" on a red background burns an image into your soul... like the eye of Sauron you are drawn to upgrade.

Resist, Frodo! Resist! :)

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

iOS 8 update: I am here!
    Me: You shall not pass!

5. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

this has got to be one of the funniest and most relevant discussion of that damned badge.....

thank you two for this. :D

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's funny how we're brainwashed into keeping everything tidy and avoiding the Red Counter of Laziness. ("It burns! It burrrrrrrrrns!!!")

One the number goes high enough, the effect wears off. My email has a red number over 11,000 on it, and I've no intention of clearing all those off!

7. hanser macrumors regular

You can delete the downloaded update under General/Usage to free the space

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't see it there.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just got the badge today and it doesn't bother me. It adds color to the bland grey gear icon. :p