How can I get this video to play?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sako7stw, Jan 30, 2008.

1. sako7stw macrumors member

I am trying and trying to get this video to play that is at the following link:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2577635

I downloaded the flashplayer 9 and I tested it according to the adobe site and it says it is loaded successfully. I changed Safari to run in "Rosetta" as it said to, whatever that means.

When I click on the video to play it it brings up VLC and it says it doesn't support it or something.

I have had this Imac for a month now, It is the bad boy of bad boy Imacs and I have never ever seen a more complicated to use POFS than this thing. Nothing wants to work on it, it barely surfs the web as almost anything you try to bring up on it, it dont want to. I am seriously wondering why as many people like such a complicated system? I could go to my PC and have this video playing in 2 seconds. If anyone is interested in a 2.8g IMAC Alum that is loaded to the max, shoot me a PM. I have just about had it with these hunks of garbage!

2. adjei7 macrumors member

It seems to be working for me. A bit dodgy but it works. I am using firefox. Had to wait a while, but then it started playing.

Don't give up on the mac. It is a big change from the PC, but it has it's benefits, which is why so many people are moving to it. What setup do you have on your mac, what software are you using, and why do you wanna see that video? It's about trucks and rocks and stuff.

Anyway, let me know, and I may be able to download it, convert it and reup it to a different server for you if you really wanna see it that bad.

Just checked on safari, and playing from the inbuilt video doesnt work (other inbuilt videos from the website work fine, just not this one), but clicking on the "view this story" link should open up real player. If you dont have it, download it, and it should work. You may have to uninstall VLC first. You can always install it again later.

3. sako7stw thread starter macrumors member

Reason I want to see it is my brother is in the video. Not for the best of reasons, he is one of the drivers of the trucks LOL.

I am using safari. Where can one find firefox? Is there an advantage to it over safari?

4. adjei7 macrumors member

Man! What a question! Many debates have gone on over this. Personally I prefer Firefox for it's various extensions which add so much more to it. others will disagree. you can find it here.
    I'm using an optimized version for mac from this guy who's website is called Beatnikpad.
    Would be best to try the official version and stick with that as the optimized version does not come with guarantees.

Hope it works for you.

5. sako7stw thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much. Downloaded from the Firefox site and whalla, the video played. it was a bit choppy but it worked and I saw my oil field trash bro driving his truck LOL.

I guess if I cant get something to run on one, I will switch to the other and give it a go.

6. adjei7 macrumors member

Glad to know it worked for you. :)

7. McGiord, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Intel Macs do run Windows also

The best thing you can do on an Intel Mac when things like this happen after trying Firefox and or downloading the right plugin or app (many are free) is to either run your BootCamp partition with Windows (xp or vista) natively or via Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion.
    Also remember that Google & MacRumors are your best friends.
    You can't run MacOSX on a Windows PC...
    ________
    weed vaporizer

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have noticed that some websites do not always format properly in Safari, or in this instance, the video doesn't stream right. Flash to begin with is trash on OS X, which is (I would assume) more the fault of Adobe than Apple, so to then have a site that very possibly doesn't quite do things right just adds problems.

I cold not get the video to play in Safari, which is annoying since I know that Safari passes the ACID2 test and therefore should be compatible with all the aspects of the IntarWebz.