How can I give iOS 8 and iPhone a good try?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mildredop, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I've been Android for several years, but I have to say that iOS 8, Swype and the fingerprint sensor are making me seriously consider returning to the iPhone.

But, when the time comes, how can I actually 'test drive' the phone? I appreciate I can stand in the Apple Store and fend-off all the kids whilst I try and look at one, but I assume I won't be able to make calls, load apps etc.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Walk into a store and sample the display.

3. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I wouldn't call that a good try.

4. 617aircav Suspended

What would you consider a good try short of buying the phone?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not willing to try it in the store, you're only option (short of borrowing a friend's) is to buy one.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What are you expecting. Are you wanting a sneek peak at the iPhone 6 on iOS8? You need to go to a store or borrow a friends like others have told you. No amount of words could decribe the experience better that hands on.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Can you not just buy one and make use of the 14 day returns policy? Most carriers here allow 2 weeks if you do not like the phone.

8. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

So I can go to Apple, buy the phone, use it for two weeks and then return it just because I don't like it? And get a full refund? That would be the ideal option - didn't realise I could do that.

----------

More than a sneek peek, a proper good couple of days of useage.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

It would depend what contract you buy it on. I doubt you could buy the phone outright and then return it just because you don't like it. I know if you buy it on a contract most carriers in the UK offer a 14 day cooling off period. It also depends what part of the world you are in, I can only comment from my knowledge here.

10. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't do contracts - it's cheaper to buy outright so that's what I've done for several years.

So I guess I could sign a contract, try it and if I like it, return it, cancel it and then go and buy one outright?

Seems quite underhanded and unfair on the carrier when all I want to do it try before I buy.

11. The-Real-Deal82, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

How can I give iOS8 and iPhone a good try?

I think more likely you'd be locked into the contract and the carrier would offer you a different phone. If you don't do contracts then you have no alternative than to buy the phone, try it, and accept the possibility you might lose a little money if you don't like it. You might even make money if you get a launch iPhone and the supply chain is limited as often happens.

12. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Just borrow one from a friend, it would surprise me none of your friends would have an iPhone running iOS 8 lol.

13. 617aircav Suspended

You can buy it off contract and return it as per the return policy.

14. I7guy macrumors P6

I believe apple now has a restocking fee. Your best bet is to go to an apple store and play with the phone for hours and hours. Apple loads up the display models with tons of apps, so you can get to try out all of the hot apps as well.

If you are really not sure if you will like the iphone, your best bet is play around with it in a store. As maflynn said above, short of borrowing one phone, anything else in the US is likely to cost you some money.

----------

Try before you buy is legitimate, however, most likely a restocking fee will apply. You can play with an iphone for hours at the apple store...they won't throw you out.

15. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you think there is any way of seeing how the iPhone handles calls and texts/notifications from within a store though?

I do find Apple Stores incredibly horrible places to stay for more than a few minutes. Mainly due to the sheer number of people/children checking Facebook and making silly faces into the webcams.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not? That's what every else does.
    And yes you can make calls and load apps etc...
    And you wont have to fend off anyone. They have many display units available.
    If not buy one and you have 2 weeks to try and return it if you dont like it.

17. I7guy macrumors P6

I hear you on the comments on the apple store. However, in my local apple store there must be at least 20 of everything (if not more) on display. You could go at a time where there is likely not to be crowds. I went there over the last long weekend and the store was empty.

18. SR71 macrumors 68000

That other person is wrong. Everything Apple sells has at least a 14-day return policy, even the off-contract iPhones. I'd know, I also only buy my phones off-contract and had to do the same last year with the 5S. You definitely will be able to walk in, buy one off-contract, and use it for 14 days with no hassle. If you don't like it, return it within those 14 days and get a full refund. Simple as that.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Most of the U.S. carriers have a cancellation period that coincides with the phone's return policy. Of course, that is always subject to change.

20. imanidiot Suspended

Can you do that with a car? Can you do that with anything else? Your expectations are unreasonable.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Yes he can. As long as he returns it within the return period given.

22. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Actually yes, you can even do it with a mortgage. It is called a rescission period.

23. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

With a car, you can do a test drive. With my last car I did an extended test drive where I had it for an entire weekend.

Playing with the iPhone in the store is equivalent to sitting in the car in the showroom, jabbing at some buttons and playing with the electric seats. It's not a true test as to its suitability for your needs/desires.

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Do you have an issue with buying the phone and returning it within the return window? Seems like the best way to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

25. I7guy macrumors P6

As said above a restocking fee most probably will apply.

----------

That's not really true. You can test most of the iPhone in an apple store; including call quality, texting, apps. There is actually little you can't test. As an electronic device there are no weekend test drives.