Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silversx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
i just got the new mbp and i want to have a seperate partition that i use only for my dj program.. and then the original partition can be my daily stuff

is it possible to use the disks that came with my mbp and install a 2nd partition of the exact same osx 10.6.3

the 2nd partition will not have any programs except my serato program so i can keep it as stable as possible..

please help thanks

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
You can do this with the program Disk Utility in your Utilities folder. I'm pretty sure you can partition in 10.6 (and 10.5) without erasing your disk. Obviously you want to read the warnings and directions carefully.

Here's an Apple instruction page. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8494.html

Then you'll install the OS again with the install DVD and select the new partition and then your program while booted into that partition.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You would need to repartition the drive and then install OS X onto the second partition.

You can do a live repartition of your boot volume
1. Run Disk Utility,
2. Highlight the physical drive (not the volume)
3. Select the Partition tab
4. Use the resize corner to decrease the size of your current partition, you will be limited to the amount of available space.
5. Click Apply

Now, you can format the new partition now or you can pop in your OS X DVD and do it from there. Give it a name that is different from the original boot volume.

Just be careful when installing, be sure to select the new partition.

To choose between the two volumes, hold down the option key during when you turn on the Mac.

silversx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
thanks guys

regarding the two users.. i think programs installed on one user will still show or effect the other user..

i'd like to keep things completely seperate with the 2nd partition having nothing but the OS and serato

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.