Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Is it possible to take a speaker box that has the terminal type output that connects with bare wires and hook them up to an iMac? The box I have has two L & R outputs so IDK if that will work...I Can't use a reciever or anything but is there a converter box or something that can connect to the iMac with optical maybe?

The plugs look like these:

pRS1C-2265719w345.jpg

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Why can't you use a receiver? Don't call me stupid - just asking. That's what I use.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
are they powered? if so just get a 3.5mm jack to 4x bare wires and wire it in.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
They're speaker terminals. They require an amplified output. You will need a receiver or an integrated / power amp. No powered speaker has bare-wire terminals these days.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
Hector said:
are they powered? if so just get a 3.5mm jack to 4x bare wires and wire it in.

That's what I would suggest. Shouldn't be too hard and you might be able to find something on the internet about doing it.

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Is space an issue with the receiver, or something else? If it's price, you can generally pick up a decent stereo receiver (often with multiple sets of speaker outputs) on craigslist for less than $50. Increases sound quality noticeably, and pumps out a lot more sound even on smaller speakers. I've got a Pioneer digital 5.1 receiver hooked up to my Mini, and using it makes the mini+amplified speakers sound like AM radio by comparison. Granted, the receiver is about 15 times the size of the Mini, but so are most of my other peripherals... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.