How can I host large files that don't upload to MobileMe?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by *LTD*, May 29, 2009.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Not sure if I need to run a web server, or set up an FTP-like client, but here's what I need to do:

Uploading to MobileMe and then sharing is great, but sometimes I need to share very large files, upwards of 6gb.

I need a way to allow other users (on other computers anywhere in the world, whether Windows or OS X) to access my computer in a very limited manner (limits/rights set by me) in order to download these large files. I need the solution to be very easy and secure, and the UI of whatever appropriate app to also be clean and simple.

For example, I have iGet Mobile. It runs on my Mac as a personal web server. I simply navigate to my web IP address and point to the forwarded port, and I can access my Mac's files from any computer, anywhere, over the web and view them, download, or e-mail them. Problem is, it being personal, I can't set limits or permissions. Everything is shown.

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

No one knows? LOL.

Is this such a difficult thing to do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What you want is a borderline commercial file server, which does not exist for free. The closest you can come is to set up your machine as an ftp server, which you should be able to set up after finding some instructions elsewhere on the web (I can't remember exactly how to do it).

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

How long do you want to have the 6 GB file up for? If it's just for a few people, then you take it down, then you can do it with MobileMe. Just not with the web interface or with the Finder (they will abort). Use a real FTP client, like Transmit or CyberDuck.

Your bandwidth limit will run out fast, and it will obviously eat into your storage space. But if it's only for a few people, then it'll be fine. But if you plan to leave it up for the whole world to download forever, then disregard this post, you need, like the above said, a paid web server, or set up a FTP directory on your computer (which is a pain in the ass if you don't have a static IP address.)

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

This is really a question of how you want to do it....

1)I would recommend getting an FTP server organized, and then using Transmit or Flow (For Example) upload the files...

2) OK... You could set up a Mosso Cloud/Amazon S3 and use them...

3) You could use YouSendIt... but that would just be stupid...

5. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

FTP server it is!

Thank you! I believe I can find the rest of what I need to know on my own.

(Flow looks good, by the way.)

6. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Flow is a beast!!

[​IMG]

7. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Excellent image - seems very straightforward. Thanks!

8. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

From then on, that is, when you are connected to the server... it's just Drag-And-Drop!! You can also connect to all of these, that is if needs be!!!

[​IMG]