How can I identify my iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Duke Bushido, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Duke Bushido macrumors newbie

I know I'm ignorant; I know I'm a recovering PC user. Please, if you need to take a few cheap shots, feel free ;)

Vista ran me away from PCs for _good_. Actually, constant crashes and the gift of an antique iBook got me off of PCs. I now have the old beat up iBook and one of those aluminum iMacs. I know also that the iMac is apparently rather looked down on, but really, it was almost perfect for me: it's like the world's nicest lap top, only not portable. :D

At any rate, I had a major issue with a Safari update on my iBook (which I had affectionately dubbed "the Road Apple" until I learned that this is something of an insult amongst Mac users.-- hey, I'm new at this, remember? ;) )

At any rate, the battery is really on it's absolute last legs on my venerable machine, and I'd like a bit of help learning what this thing is so that I can begin the hunt for a battery.

All I can really say right now (because I don't know what to look for or what to tell you) is that it's a clamshell with a nifty built-in handle, it's white with fluorescent green "trim (?) and a white keyboard. It features a _bizarre_ power adapter that I have learned is referred to as a "yo-yo."

the "About this Mac" button gives me this:

Mac OSX 10.4.11

Processor 466 MHZ PowerPC G3

Memory 576 MB

When I click "more info," it tells me this:

Machine name: iBook
    Machine Model: PowerBook 2,2 [yes; it's a comma]
    CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.2) [a period; not a comma]
    Number of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 467 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU) 256 KB
    Memory: 576 MB
    Bus Speed: 67 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 3.3.3f3

Then there's the serial number and the Sales Order Number.

Is there anyone who can give some idea of just what of all this I need to know to battery shop, and maybe some idea of the actual vintage of this machine?

I'm sure it's old and outdated, but I _love_ this thing; it's stood me in great stead for some time now, and even though I _know_ those hardware specs are decrepit (at least from a PC perspective), this thing has consistently outperformed my PC (except in speed, but again: low numbers) and still outperforms my wife's new PC-based Dell netbook in everything but graphics.

I love this thing, and I want to keep it going as long as I possibly can.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Glad you love your iBook!

You already have all the info you need to know to shop for a new battery. Just Google iBook G3 battery replacement and you will find many options. ;) :)

Welcome to MacRumors!

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The 466MHz processor means it's the original clamshell iBook - that specific model (with that processor speed) debuted in September 2000, and was discontinued by May 2001, so you're looking at a machine that's at least 8 years old. It's also one of only two of the clamshell models (the other being the 366MHz iBook from the same period) that can have Tiger (OS X 10.4) installed without having to use 3rd party software. As the above poster stated, a Google search reveals many places you can buy replacement batteries from. When you receive it, just calibrate it regularly and your iBook should hold out for a while still :)

The Apple online store still sells batteries for the 12.1-inch iBook G3, which was the model that came out after the one you have, so you should definitely be able to track down a 'new' battery from somewhere.

4. Duke Bushido thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, folks.

I figured I was staring right at the answer; I just didn't know which bits of that information were relevant and which weren't.

So it's at least eight years old, yet in the year and a half that I've had it, it's consistently been smoother and more reliable than the Vista machine I was ready to reformat with a hammer. Gotta love that! :D

If it's that old, then I actually feel more comfortable fooling around with it a bit. While I've really come to enjoy letting its massive bulk thump onto the desk or table wherever I work (and it's pleasantly homely appearance garners it more than a few looks ;) ), I have of late come to wonder if there is anything that can be done to get a bit more memory out of the thing. It's actually got more stored on it than I can explain (it just doesn't make sense that I was able to install as much as I have without any issues), and I'm a bit worried that I may be adversely affecting its ability to do its job.

Are there any specific sites or areas on this site (I've been thumbing through the Search feature, but there's many, many weeks of sifting to do) that you can suggest, or is this machine simply too old to tweak at all?

Thanks again for the help; I hope to get a battery ordered up soon!