How can I ignore only the El Capitan OS Upgrade Reminder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by avacadoinacan, Dec 1, 2015.

1. avacadoinacan macrumors newbie

avacadoinacan

I manage a large network of Macs, and for various reasons do not want to upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan. We have automatic updates turned on on all of our systems, and I'd like to keep it that way. However, many of my users are confused or annoyed when their computer keeps reminding them to upgrade to El Capitan when the IT departments policy is to stay on Yosemite (for app compatibility reasons).

I've been searching for weeks now trying to find a way to prevent the El Cap upgrade reminder from popping up that doesn't also involve completely disabling automatic updates.

It's possible to tell softwareupdate to ignore certain updates via the command line, but El Capitan doesn't show up when running $softwareupdate -list

Does anyone know how to do this without turning off all updates?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The reminder comes from Apple and is not tied in to the update actually having been downloaded and actually ready to run on the system. Auto update being enabled will only automatically download and install updates for the current OS. My company is not yet ready to install El Capitan either but there is no way to block those prompts.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In Snow Leopard, when an update popped up (and there are no more) I could go to the Menu and select Ignore Update. Thereafter, those so selected would never show up again, but other updates came through.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Open the App Store and click the updates tab.

Ctrl click the El Capitan update and click hide update.

That's it

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately that won't work in my case. I have disabled software update in system preferences and hide El Capitan in updates tab but El Capitan notification still shows about once a week...

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Because, as I noted in my post, the notification isn't an update notification but an advertisement of the new OS. My company has also tried blocking those notifications with no success. Unfortunately, in a corporate environment the only way around the update being installed prematurely is to educate the users.

7. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't understand why Apple won't include "don't show this again" option... Its very annoying and sloppy.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

They did. You said you disabled it.

9. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Yes but it has no effect, reminder shows once a week!

Not impressed with Apples quality assurance at the moment... :mad: