How can I improve my site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by macDonalds, Dec 1, 2008.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

(in sig)

I'm hoping to get some good feedback on 'features' that I can add to my site. I know the design is horrid... one day I will address that. But for now I'm really focused on building functionality that will keep people interested.

Here's an overview of what it is and what it does:

It takes the popular "Show your desktop" thread from your typical forum and builds a community around that concept.

Here are some of the current features:

- add a single desktop (hrm, room for improvement here?)
    - comment & vote
    - tags to browse (each desktop is tagged by the user)
    - private messages
    - popular desktops (shown on home page)

Actually, this brings up a question about current functionality. Right now you have one and only one desktop. When you create a new one, the old one is trashed along with the comments. Do you think this should change or the current way is fine?

Ok, I'd love to hear some input. Thanks!

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Yeah, the layout is sparse but I know you're working on that and look fwd to your final version as it has real potential.

In terms of features, they all tie into a social networking theme and it makes good solid sense to me to do all the things you listed. No complaints at all. My only comment is on your last question - I say it would be cool to keep previous "screenshots" from users, date them, and show them to all viewers in a simple gallery format the PROGRESSION the desktop underwent over time as prototype, verson 1, 2, etc. to final. I would find that interesting. Of course, make it an option so people can choose not to have old desktops show.

Compliments on the great idea and concept of the site.

-jim

3. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Jim for the nice comments. I will definitely factor in this progression feature in the future.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Way cool! I get 40% of your gross profit! Not! ;)

-jim

5. Mitou macrumors regular

Yes I think it is a good idea.
    I like my desktop I don't do much social networking but that is a site I would visit and probably show my desktop.
    You might link to great wallpaper to help people find new ones, or even great screen savers a lot of people like them.
    I like your site and your idea

I just added my desktop this was fun and nice. I think you have a good thing going.
    Best of luck.

6. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much Mitou. I just saw your submission!

Those are some nice ideas. I was thinking one day a little wallpaper subsection submitted by members would be nice.

Thanks again.

7. Harpua585 macrumors newbie

It might be cool to allow users to upload their backgrounds so they can be shared? It could essentially blossom into a site of user generated/voted desktop images (a mini threadless for desktops?)