Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tempbeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry for my poor english

My old Macmini is M9687 G4 1.42G, because of some special usage, I need install panther on it, but the original restore disc is lost.

The pre-installed version is 10.3.7, so I can't use panther retail disc (the retail version is lower than 10.3.7).

I try to use pearpc to emulate a powerpc g3 hardware enviroment, install 10.3, upgrade to 10.3.9, then use disk utility to restore pearpc hdd image to external firewire hdd

At last, I plug the firewire hdd in g4 mini, boot from it, but it gives me a error message: still waiting for root device.

I searched MacUpdate, found a freeware called Slipy, with Slipy v1.3, I can customize a 10.3.9 install disc, but I can't find any alive download link for it. Anybody who got slipy v1.3, please send a copy to me. thanks !

Is there any method to install 10.3.9 on my g4 mini ? Thanks !

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Search on eBay for the original restore discs. They come up frequently. Alternatively, you could install Panther via Target disk mode with a suitable G4 based Mac as host.

Slipy only works on Panther, so unless you have Panther installed somewhere else, it won't be much use to you.

tempbeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Search on eBay for the original restore discs. They come up frequently. Alternatively, you could install Panther via Target disk mode with a suitable G4 based Mac as host.

Slipy only works on Panther, so unless you have Panther installed somewhere else, it won't be much use to you.

Thanks for your reply ! I can use PearPC to emulate a Panther system, but I can't find any alive link for slipy, even archive.org :(

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Is there any particular reason why it must be Panther? Panther and Tiger are similar enough(with some added features in Tiger) that I'd be inclined to think that anything which will run on Panther will also run on Tiger.

Needless to say, Tiger retail disks are relatively easy to find.

Alternatively, can you-as suggested above-install Panther from a retail disk via target disk mode, then run the updates(still in Target Disk Mode) to bring it up to 10.3.9?

tempbeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
OK. Good luck with processing a full CD's worth on Pear PC :eek:

Here is a working link.

http://tecnologia.tiscali.it/download/scheda.php?id=252847#

Click on 'Preleva'

Thanks ! That's an Italian website :cool: Google always show me english results.

---

Seems slipy only copies the combo updates pkg to Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages, and adds some relational lines into installation script, the others, such as mach_kernel and kexts still stay old version.

---

I searched ebay, but could't find suitable disc.

Maybe target disk mode is the best and only solution. :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.19.57.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.19.57.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.18.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.18.58.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 141

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

tempbeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014

tempbeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Finally, i solved it.

Use PearPC to emulate a PowerPC G3 hardware enviroment, install 10.3, upgrade to 10.3.9, then use disk utility to restore PearPC disk image to Mac Mini's internal HDD. :D

Maybe my Akitio firewire external enclosure is not compatible with the G4 Mac Mini. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.