Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
USA
on my iMac? I downloaded it but cannot install it where I can brin up my buddy list. Actually, it tells me that the popup blocker is on and when I turn it off, it still gives me that message. Any help here?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You don't need AIM, it's a pretty miserable piece of software. iChat is essentially an AIM client and should do all you need - or, as the other poster said, try Adium or Proteus, which are both multi-protocol clients (ICQ, Yahoo, MSN etc as well as AIM).

imacattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
USA
Downloaded Adium

but there are no instructions as to how to work it. I get something like a buddy list that pops up and that's all. No tabs to click on to enter buddies etc. What am I missing?

imacattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
USA
Found the instructions for Adium

so, can my aol buddies send me msgs? What about yahoo messenger? I work from home and need to have yahoo msg as well on my computer. I don't know how to invite buddies to my Adium.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Go to the menu bar, click on the tab on the right of the one saying "Adium" (don't know what it's called in English), click on "Add an account" or something to that effect and choose the service you want to add. You don't have to add buddies or create a new account just for Adium. It can import all your information when you add the account.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I thought I would tag along on this thread.

I'm fairly new with my iMac. Both of my sisters also got iMacs recently. We would like to chat with each other using video and be able to screen share. What's the best way for us to do it? We don't have an account anywhere.

TIA

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Get a free Gmail-acount and add that to iChat. :)

How will that help him talk to AIM buddies without taking an obsessively geeky method?

And maybe the standard AIM doesn't work with Leopard? I think AOL stopped updating AIM when OSX started shipping with iChat (can talk with aim buddies)

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
How will that help him talk to AIM buddies without taking an obsessively geeky method?

And maybe the standard AIM doesn't work with Leopard? I think AOL stopped updating AIM when OSX started shipping with iChat (can talk with aim buddies)

I was answering the question right before my post. He said that he did not have any accounts, so that's what I suggested, because I think it's an easy way. Especially, if he only wants to talk to his sisters (and do screen sharing) who don't have any accounts either.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I was answering the question right before my post. He said that he did not have any accounts, so that's what I suggested, because I think it's an easy way. Especially, if he only wants to talk to his sisters (and do screen sharing) who don't have any accounts either.

Oh blast it all then ;) That's what I get for not reading:rolleyes:

If that's the case I'd push gmail as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.