How can I install Dual Mac OS in MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keisiuip, Dec 15, 2011.

1. keisiuip macrumors newbie

I've bought a MBP with Lion pre-installed.
    Can I install SL in another partition??

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

3. keisiuip, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011

keisiuip thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I do this??

Should I need an old MAC??
    Can I do this within my MBP??
    I don't mean to erase Lion, I just want to install SL in another partition

When I start up my MBP, with the retail SL install disc inserted, '3 beep' sound appears.
    My MBP is refurbished, that means I can't downgrade to SL with this method??

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It would help if you said what kind of MBP you have?

5. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Open Disk Utility. It's in the utilities folder, inside your Applications folder.

In the left column do NOT click on "Macintosh HD". Click on the one at the top. For example, mine says "320GB WDC WD320 HDD". The one all the way at the top is the main drive. Click the partiton tab. Click the plus button in the bottom right, and it will cut your drive into half. You should see two blocks. Macintosh HD, and Macintosh HD 2. Macintosh HD 2 is the new 2nd partition. You can move the button at the top of the second partition "block" to resize the second partiton, or click the second partition, and in the size field, enter how big you want your second partition to be. Close out of all apps before clicking apply. This may take up to 15 minutes. Be patient. When done, insert your OS X Snow Leopard disc. Run the installer, and when it wants you to select your drive, select your second partition. After it installs, your Mac will reboot into the new partiton. Congratulations. You have a dual OS X install. To change the boot partition, or to boot into a different partition, you can either open the Startup Disk pane in System Preferences, or hold the option key while booting your Mac.