How can I install kids games so I don't need disks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atarin, Dec 14, 2007.

1. atarin macrumors regular

Hi, I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else. I tried a search here and on Google, and found nothing. Anyway, my aunt has bought an iMac for my 6 year old cousin for Christmas. She already has all the Mia games that they have in the kids "play" area at the Apple Store. What I want to know is how can I install those games the way they have them installed at the Apple Store, where you don't need to use the disks. My aunt is worried that my cousin will lose or break the disks, and she wants to let her play them whenever she wants, without needing a grown up to help. Obviously it's possible, since it works that way at the Apple Store, but they won't tell us how they did it (yes, we asked - they told us they can't tell us and then said we should just teach her to respect her things - whatever!). We're not trying to install on more than one computer or break copyright, we just want to make it more kid friendly. Can anyone help us figure this out? I want to have her iMac set up for her before Christmas Eve, and this is the last thing I need to do. Thanks!

2. deneenco macrumors member

deneenco

try this

creating a disk image sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. Depends on the game...

but here is a link that describes the process:

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/116

3. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

yes your in luck there is a way...

you have to make disk images of each disk you have for the games. to do this open up disk utility. (go to your applications folder, and then open up the utility folder inside of it and find disk utility)

then put the disk in. you will have to do the following for each disk. In disk utility you will see the disk on the left side. click on it and then click on new image on the top of the window.

then change the Image Format to DVD/CD master. then pick a place to save the image (such as your applications folder) and click save. this will take several minutes and it will take up some space on the hard drive) it will take up the size of the disk.

After its done all you have to do is find it wherever you saved and double click on it. Open up all of them one after another. When they are all opened you should see the virtual disks on your desktop. then if you want to make it launch every-time you log in...

open up system preferences located in your applications folder and click on accounts... and click on the account where the games will be played. Click on login items and click the plus icon. then navigate to your applications folder and click on each disk image of the games. do this for each one. then just quit out of system preferences and your done.

its very easy

4. atarin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'll give that a try! You guys just might have made Christmas even better for a sweet little girl!

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Will this work for the new Harry Potter game as well?

6. deneenco macrumors member

deneenco

Hard to say if it works for the new Harry Potter game.

It doesn't work for some games due to copy protection. The Sims2 for instance isn't as simple as making a Disk Image, and hoping the game loads.

Best guess... try it out, you might get lucky.

7. atarin thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it and it worked with the Mia games! Thank you guys again! :)