How can I install Panther on a partition?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JCLrox, Feb 29, 2012.

1. JCLrox macrumors regular

JCLrox

I have a summer 2001 iMac G3 which currently has Mac OS X 10.1 installed. I want to install Mac OS X 10.3 on it, but I want access to 10.1 as well. I know to do this I have to partition the disk, but when I open up Disk Utility to do this I know that I won't be able to make any changes to the startup disk. Is there a way to boot up to Disk Utility so I can make the partition? Or will I be able to make the partition directly from the 10.3 disc? Thanks!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to backup your current data before you can partition it. Panther does not have the ability to partition a disc without erasing it.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh that's right. That wasn't introduced until Leopard. I would suggest a GPL partitioner that is capable of non-destructive resizing.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10.4.6 was the first version that had support for it, but it was via the Terminal only until 10.5.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Your best bet would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner (there still have an older, PowerPC version available for download) and copy the content of the current partition to an external drive.

Use disk utility to wipe the drive and create 2 new partitions.
    Restore the backup to 1 partition.
    Install 10.3 onto the 2nd partition.

That's my best answer to your questions.

But now I'll ask one.
    Why do you want access to 10.1 and 10.3?

7. JCLrox thread starter macrumors regular

JCLrox

Thanks for the replies! minifridge:I would like access to both because I would like access to the old files found in both 10.1 and 10.3. I actually just have one more question, if I create the partition will the data erased include Mac OS 9, which is also installed on the disk with 10.1?