How can I keep a second display (ie, TV) on when laptop lid is closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zgeist, Jan 25, 2010.

1. zgeist macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro and I want to be able to hook it up to my TV and close the laptop lid. Every time I close the lid, the TV goes black no matter what settings I change! I'm not sure if the laptop is going to sleep, or just disconnecting the TV as a display.

I've tried something called Caffeine, but it didn't do a thing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. cubedweller macrumors 6502

In order for the machine to operate in clamshell mode you must have a mouse, keyboard, monitor/TV and power cable connected -- without all of these connected the machine will simply go to sleep.

Hope this helps. You can google "clamshell mode" for more info.

3. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

I use my MBP with an external cinema display - I know that when I close the laptop the whole system goes into sleep mode.

If I move the mouse or unplug the USB hub the computer boots back up even when it is closed, and all my previous information appears on the Cinema display.

This may not be the official way to do it but I know it works

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL that's pretty official.

5. zgeist thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I have the power cable connected, and the display - I was hoping to use VNC on my ipod touch as a remote control. But if I just connected a dummy usb mouse and keyboard it might work? That's kinda silly, but I might try it.

Thanks!

6. zgeist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link! It basically says you can use "clamshell" mode if you have a connected keyboard/mouse or a bluetooth one.

Anyone have any ideas on using an ipod touch?

Would an apple remote keep it awake?

Thanks!

7. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Yea, any USB mouse and keyboard will work.. it's a pain for when you just want to use it in clamshell mode for movies, but that's life.. :cool:

8. zgeist thread starter macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

I just found the above snippet in the KB --- maybe that will work as I have a Time Capsule. I'll try it tonight and if it works I'll post back here.

Thanks.