Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
My chair is on hardwood floor and when I am trying to use the computer the chair will start to roll backwards on me sometimes. I heard of floor mates but are floor mates just to protect the floor?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My chair is on hardwood floor and when I am trying to use the computer the chair will start to roll backwards on me sometimes. I heard of floor mates but are floor mates just to protect the floor?

Is the floor even? What are the quality of the castors on the chair like? Have you thought of using a rug, say, or a mat?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes the floors are even. The castors are metal.

How good and strong are they? Also, are they large, or tiny? Do they bear the weight load evenly? (Feeble, or poorly made castors are a complete pain). For that matter, what is the chair itself like? Does it balance and spread the load of weight evenly?

These are the sort of things that - to my mind - it is worth spending decent money on; the quality of the product is often (not always, granted) reflected in the price you have paid for it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Get a mat. It will:

1) Protect the floor
2) Provide some resistance so the chair doesn't roll

Simple, low cost, problem solved. :)

Agreed, and something I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, I have a first rate German chair, with large, stable castors, and yes, I also have a mat…….

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL

have you tried replacing the castors on your chair with locking castors? you can get them a local Staples and Home Depot...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Large rug with medium pile. You should be able to find something decent, modern and nice and likely made of wool from Ikea or similar stores.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
try floor protectors for furniture legs of the the type that has a "cup" shape with an edge that will stop the rolling.....like these;

furniture-floor-protectors-medium-size-of-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-chair-leg-floor-protectors-also-furniture-floor-furniture-floor-protectors-amazon.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.