How can I keep my itunes music on an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kkamin, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kkamin macrumors member

My friend is a musician and has a large music library. He is running out of space on his laptop's HD and would like to transfer everything to an external HD. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thank you!
    -K

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Copy your iTunes folder (Music->iTunes) onto the external
    Then open up iTunes, go to iTunes->Preferences->Advanced, under iTunes Music folder location, change to appropriate spot

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

They can drag the iTunes folder to the external and then set the new location in Preferences>Advanced>iTunes Music Folder Location :)

4. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! So can I copy it over, then delete the "Music" folder from the laptop HD, THEN go to preference->Advanced to set it up again? Will deleting the entire "Music" folder from the laptop HD be okay with itunes?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Obviously close iTunes when doing all this moving. You can delete after you follow my steps, just to make sure.

6. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. While itunes was closed the folder was moved to the external HD and I deleted the original folder. In the "Advanced" option, I changed the itunes folder location to the external drive, but after I did that, the library isn't being filled with the music. Any ideas?

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Try closing and reopening...

8. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

usually i would say you move the folder to your favourite destination, and then start itunes by holding "alt"-key
    itunes asks you which library you wann open, or if you want to create a new one.
    In your case just fire up itunes with alt-key and select the new location of the lib.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also moving the iTunes folder only works if you lets iTunes manage your music, buy off the iTunes music store, and/or you have consolidated your library (forced iTunes to copy all the music into the same location).

10. kkamin thread starter macrumors member