How can I keep windows at set size?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keukasmallie, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

When I open Finder, for example, it opens in a relatively small window, so I "pull" it to the size I want. Is there a way to set the size of windows and keep them at that size until I choose to resize them? Specifically, it will open at the size I set prior to closing the app.

2. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Good question. Windows remembers your last window size. Googling "mac os x remember window size" garners lots of results. Let's read through them...

3. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

When more is less....

After Googling and reading the many suggestions (none of which seem to "stick"), I resolved the matter by deciding to always take Finder off the desktop by using Command>H. I'll leave it at that.

4. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I don't get it? Ahh you just hide it? So it is never closed just unhid.

I didnt read any yet either that sounded any good. There are apps that do this I'm sure. But I don't like adding more system load for stupid little things like this. I came across Xtrafinder app for those that want this route. Saw people complaining of that it didn't work with mavericks though.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

For Finder, just open a new window, resize it, and then close it. New windows will open with the new size.

A.

6. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Maybe I never even noticed that because I gave up a while back because if you resize the window the folders don't layout automatically to the new size. So there is no point. That is unless you take the time to move the folders into the new available rows. Unless I'm missing something there?

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You can turn on auto arrange for individual folders or make it the default. Right click/control click in the folder background and choose 'Arrange By'. Finder will remember your choice. For more options, choose 'Show View Options' instead.

A.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, you are. The size of a Finder window is only one of many variables. Do you use Icon View or List View, or some other view? I use mostly Icon View. In that case, icons will automatically be rearranged to a new window size, if you have one of the Arrange By settings that will do that. I think the only ones that won't are None and Snap to Grid.

There is a further problem if you have chosen to have newly opened folders open in the same window. That is if the first window holds many files and the second one holds few, there's going to be lots of white space when you open the second folder if you've set the first window to show all the files.

9. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Command>H is my answer

Is Finder ever closed? Not on my 2011 MBP; so I'll just hide it rather than click the red stop light button.

XtraFinder has been revised so it DOES work w/ Mavericks.

10. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

So it does. Thank you. I would of never realized that for some reason otherwise.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

That usually lasts for the current session....if I restart my Mac the Finder windows do not remember their previous sizes or locations.

12. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I just tested that. On my iMac 27" mavericks my finder remembered its size and location after restart.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Sure doesn't work for Mountain Lion....and I'm not upgrading to Mavericks due to all the issues I read people are having just to see if it fixes "remembering window positions"...I usually don't go to a new OS X version until the .3 release.