How can i know my macbook has virus, malware or trojan wihtout AV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFR25, Jul 7, 2016.

1. AFR25 macrumors newbie

AFR25

can i know if my rmbp has virus, malware, or trojan without AV software?

2. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

In theory, even with antivirus software, you won't know if your machine has malware, as no antivirus software is perfect. AVG has a free Mac Edition you can install. If you really don't want to install anything however, a free online scanner from a reputable firm such as Trend Micro or Bitdefender works well.

In principle though, one can never be 100% certain that their machine is secure. Who knows, maybe tomorrow a scandal will leak out revealing that Apple has hardware backdoors in all Macs. Wouldn't that be something!

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No you'll need software to scan for those things and even then you can never be sure no software is 100% effective.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Install Little Snitch, then any outward connections will become obvious. Other than that any malware usually has a visible effect as a result of it being installed.

If it has no visible effect and generates no outwatd connection attempts them I'm not sure what use it would be to the writer.

Do you have symptoms of anything?

5. Queen6, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

6. AFR25 thread starter macrumors newbie

AFR25

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like Malwarebytes myself, and recommend that. There's really no way to determine if your machine is infected with malware without some software scanning the system and looking to detect the telltale signs of infection.