How can I launch apps quicker?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Drew017, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

My iBook G3 works great most of the time, except that it launches apps a bit slowly. I have Mac OS X 10.4.11 (PPC) and I would REALLY like to know how I can get apps to launch faster? I'd like to make the icons in the dock bounce only two or three times.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Drew

2. simsaladimbamba

Get a faster HDD or even SSD, but I guess that the cost and time to replace the internal HDD with a new HDD/SSD might be too much?
    Or you could look into older Core Duo/Core 2 Duo MacBooks.

But the HDD in an iBook G3 is slow compared to today's HDDs, and as it is almost ten years old, it might be failing soon or showing signs of age.

3. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

It isn't showing signs of age. Actually, it works really good. My iBook is from mid 2003, and it is the last of the iBook G3's. Actually, after I emptied the cache, everything works faster.

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

First up, max out your RAM before you do anything else. If that is done, you have only 3 choices:

-get a new 2.5" PATA (IDE) HDD.
    -get a new 2.5" PATA (IDE) SSD from macsales.com.

Or, what could potentially be a cheaper in-between these two solution: get yourself a CF to IDE adapter like this one:

http://www.dinodirect.com/Dual-CF-C...sk-Drive-IDE-44-pin-Adapter-currency-CAD.html

and find a compact flash card big enough to hold your stuff. Your current HD is most likely no bigger than 40GB if it's the original. Get a 32GB (if it's enough) or a 64GB CF card, and replace your original HD with this CF card.

It will be incredibly faster, and won't cost you nearly as much as a IDE SSD. Also, since old laptops can't even use all the SSD speed, you probably wouldn't even see the difference between a fast CF card and a SSD .

Bonus point for your battery life being increased significantly.

I use this set-up in my 500MHz Powerbook G3 and the difference is night and day.

Good luck,

Loa

5. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Thanks. My HD is already 32GB, and I'm considering a RAM upgrade.