How can I lock my iPad?

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
Hi.

Long story short, my iPad is acting up and sometimes it moves on its own.

I want to read eBooks on it, but it gets difficult when it starts randomly changing pages, zooming in and out, etc.

Is there a way to lock my iPad in the same way you could lock your iPod classic, iPod nano and iPod shuffle? That would prevent it from acting up while I'm reading a page. When I want to change pages, I would simply unlock, change page, then lock it again.

Is there a way to do so with or without an application?

Thank you,

Sophia K.

aesc80

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2015
Short of locking the orientation, I'd say you're a bit out of luck. Sound like you have some burnt out sensors, especially with random zooms and page turns.

Locking orientation would be the last button on the right when you swipe up from the bottom ... Or at least what your iPad thinks is the bottom. Best of luck with that.

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
Short of locking the orientation, I'd say you're a bit out of luck. Sound like you have some burnt out sensors, especially with random zooms and page turns.

Locking orientation would be the last button on the right when you swipe up from the bottom ... Or at least what your iPad thinks is the bottom. Best of luck with that.
I locked orientation long ago and it doesn't stop the issue from happening. Thanks anyway.

However, I do find it odd that a screen lock option was available in the earlier apple products, but not when the iPod touch came out. A simple button on the side of the device would still be useful.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I locked orientation long ago and it doesn't stop the issue from happening. Thanks anyway.

However, I do find it odd that a screen lock option was available in the earlier apple products, but not when the iPod touch came out. A simple button on the side of the device would still be useful.
It's probably not an option anymore because iPads don't randomly change pages or zoom in and out on their own.

Maybe clean your screen.

Reactions: ZebraDude

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
So I'm not real clear on what it is you're doing.

1. do you want to read in landscape or portrait mode?
2. why do you want to lock and unlock every page?
3. when you say zooming in and out all the time - that doesn't happen in iBooks - so you're saying it just does it on it's own?
4. do you have Both Margins Advance turned on in Settings > iBooks - it could be you keep putting a finger or thumb in the margins causing it to flip pages?
5. anything else you can say tell us about how your using your iPad for for iBooks - what model iPad do you have?

Last edited:

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
It's probably not an option anymore because iPads don't randomly change pages or zoom in and out on their own.

Maybe clean your screen.
Is there a specific method to go about it?

So I'm not real clear on what it is you're doing.

1. do you want to read in landscape or portrait mode?
2. why do you want to lock and unlock every page?
3. when you say zooming in and out all the time - that doesn't happen in iBooks - so you're saying it just does it on it's own?
4. do you have Both Margins Advance turned on in Settings > iBooks - it could be you keep putting a finger or thumb in the margins causing it to flip pages?
5. anything else you can say tell us about how your using your iPad for for iBooks - what model iPad do you have?
1. Portrait.
2. To prevent it from acting up while I'm reading a page.
3. Yes.
4. No, I don't, but it happens everywhere and anywhere randomly. Whether it's in iBooks or not.
5. iPad Mini. Latest Firmware update for it. The screen is broken a bit.

It does it a few times. It's not always, but it's annoying nonetheless when it happens.
It's likely a hardware problem (screen or whatnot), but since the warranty on it is over, instead of fixing it or buying a new iPad, I figured I'd just use the screen-lock option apple had on the classic iPods. To my surprise, there isn't any.

When you swiped the button, it would lock any movement on your iPod. Meaning that it wouldn't allow you to click/wheel or even it close it and the screen would still stay open. You can watch a video and lock your iPod to prevent any unnecessary clicking. That's what I'm looking to do with my iPad while I'm reading.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
What operating system are you using 9._._ ?
[doublepost=1463011644][/doublepost]I always use assistive touch

Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive touch

You'll the see a on screen home button - tap it

Device > various functions (remember Lock Screen just turns it of

I'm thinking that cracked screen might be causing it to be a little erratic.

Reactions: RevTEG

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
You're looking for a workaround or bandaid solution, when there's obviously something wrong with your iPad if it's acting this way. Take it in to an Apple Store to get it fixed or replaced.

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
What operating system are you using 9._._ ?
[doublepost=1463011644][/doublepost]I always use assistive touch

Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive touch

You'll the see a on screen home button - tap it

Device > various functions (remember Lock Screen just turns it of

I'm thinking that cracked screen might be causing it to be a little erratic.

I'm asking for something that would lock screen but still allow me to read on what's on the screen.

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
And I gave you the instructions for that.

And so did @aesc80 in the 2nd post.
You said: "remember Lock Screen just turns it of"

I don't want it to get turned off. I want the screen to stay opened.

What @aesc80 said locks the rotation, not the screen.

Perhaps you don't understand what I mean. What do you think I mean?

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
What do you think I mean?
the screen will stay open on lock orientation anything else is not possible on your ipad.

as someone else has pointed out you seem to looking for a work around for a now broken iPad - Apple Store should be your next stop.

Reactions: RevTEG

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Okay, so you have a broken screen and trying to figure out a way to lock it since the screen is damaged and not acting like normal.

The only thing that I can think of would be guided access. Not sure if it will fully work though.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hi.

Long story short, my iPad is acting up and sometimes it moves on its own.

I want to read eBooks on it, but it gets difficult when it starts randomly changing pages, zooming in and out, etc.

Is there a way to lock my iPad in the same way you could lock your iPod classic, iPod nano and iPod shuffle? That would prevent it from acting up while I'm reading a page. When I want to change pages, I would simply unlock, change page, then lock it again.

Wonder if a Restart/Reset would be too much to hope for as a simple solution?

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
Okay, so you have a broken screen and trying to figure out a way to lock it since the screen is damaged and not acting like normal.

The only thing that I can think of would be guided access. Not sure if it will fully work though.
I've tried guided access. The feature itself doesn't seem to work. I can't seem to make the feature itself work.

I've reset it. It did not fix the problem, although, it did minimize it a bit.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
As I said above, your iPad is not functioning properly. This is likely a hardware problem. Why don't you take it in to get repaired or replaced instead of looking for a workaround?

SophiaKap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2016
As I said above, your iPad is not functioning properly. This is likely a hardware problem. Why don't you take it in to get repaired or replaced instead of looking for a workaround?
I don't have a warranty and I'm not interested in repairing an old iPad.

The motives should be irrelevant. I only asked if there was a screen-locking system integrated into the iPad or as an app. If there isn't, well that's too bad.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
maybe there's a tool for this if you jailbreak? It's a completely moot option on a normally functioning device, so I can see why it's not a thing now.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The iPad is behaving unpredictably because it has a broken screen. It's kind of like asking, "Does my car have a feature for driving with a broken steering wheel?"

If the screen is broken, it is incapable of interpreting touch as designed. There's a grid of tiny wires embedded in the screen for detecting touch. Some of them are broken - they may be contributing to the false appearance of a touch, they may fail to detect a touch, they may mis-report the location of a touch.... Who knows how many ways a broken screen might mis-interpret/mis-report a touch?

Even if a feature existed that would do as you asked when the screen is working normally, you cannot be sure it would work correctly when the touchscreen is broken.

There's a saying in computing: Garbage in, garbage out. Your touchscreen is sending garbage to the CPU. You figure out the rest.

I'm sorry your screen is broken - if I broke the screen to my six-year-old, first-generation iPad, I wouldn't pay to replace it, either. But there are times when you have to accept that broke is broke. Pleading with an online forum for a solution isn't going to make one magically appear.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I don't have a warranty and I'm not interested in repairing an old iPad.

The motives should be irrelevant. I only asked if there was a screen-locking system integrated into the iPad or as an app. If there isn't, well that's too bad.
I'm afraid your SOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.