How can I lock my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SophiaKap, May 11, 2016.

1. SophiaKap macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

Hi.

Long story short, my iPad is acting up and sometimes it moves on its own.

I want to read eBooks on it, but it gets difficult when it starts randomly changing pages, zooming in and out, etc.

Is there a way to lock my iPad in the same way you could lock your iPod classic, iPod nano and iPod shuffle? That would prevent it from acting up while I'm reading a page. When I want to change pages, I would simply unlock, change page, then lock it again.

Is there a way to do so with or without an application?

Thank you,

Sophia K.

2. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Short of locking the orientation, I'd say you're a bit out of luck. Sound like you have some burnt out sensors, especially with random zooms and page turns.

Locking orientation would be the last button on the right when you swipe up from the bottom ... Or at least what your iPad thinks is the bottom. Best of luck with that.

3. SophiaKap thread starter macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

I locked orientation long ago and it doesn't stop the issue from happening. Thanks anyway.

However, I do find it odd that a screen lock option was available in the earlier apple products, but not when the iPod touch came out. A simple button on the side of the device would still be useful.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

It's probably not an option anymore because iPads don't randomly change pages or zoom in and out on their own.

Maybe clean your screen.

5. RedOrchestra, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

So I'm not real clear on what it is you're doing.

1. do you want to read in landscape or portrait mode?
    2. why do you want to lock and unlock every page?
    3. when you say zooming in and out all the time - that doesn't happen in iBooks - so you're saying it just does it on it's own?
    4. do you have Both Margins Advance turned on in Settings > iBooks - it could be you keep putting a finger or thumb in the margins causing it to flip pages?
    5. anything else you can say tell us about how your using your iPad for for iBooks - what model iPad do you have?

6. SophiaKap thread starter macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

Is there a specific method to go about it?

1. Portrait.
    2. To prevent it from acting up while I'm reading a page.
    3. Yes.
    4. No, I don't, but it happens everywhere and anywhere randomly. Whether it's in iBooks or not.
    5. iPad Mini. Latest Firmware update for it. The screen is broken a bit.

It does it a few times. It's not always, but it's annoying nonetheless when it happens.
    It's likely a hardware problem (screen or whatnot), but since the warranty on it is over, instead of fixing it or buying a new iPad, I figured I'd just use the screen-lock option apple had on the classic iPods. To my surprise, there isn't any.

When you swiped the button, it would lock any movement on your iPod. Meaning that it wouldn't allow you to click/wheel or even it close it and the screen would still stay open. You can watch a video and lock your iPod to prevent any unnecessary clicking. That's what I'm looking to do with my iPad while I'm reading.
    [​IMG]

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

What operating system are you using 9._._ ?
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2016 ---
    I always use assistive touch

Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive touch

You'll the see a on screen home button - tap it

Device > various functions (remember Lock Screen just turns it of

I'm thinking that cracked screen might be causing it to be a little erratic.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

You're looking for a workaround or bandaid solution, when there's obviously something wrong with your iPad if it's acting this way. Take it in to an Apple Store to get it fixed or replaced.

9. SophiaKap thread starter macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

I'm asking for something that would lock screen but still allow me to read on what's on the screen.

10. RedOrchestra Suspended

And I gave you the instructions for that.

And so did @aesc80 in the 2nd post.

11. SophiaKap thread starter macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

You said: "remember Lock Screen just turns it of"

I don't want it to get turned off. I want the screen to stay opened.

What @aesc80 said locks the rotation, not the screen.

Perhaps you don't understand what I mean. What do you think I mean?

12. RedOrchestra Suspended

the screen will stay open on lock orientation anything else is not possible on your ipad.

as someone else has pointed out you seem to looking for a work around for a now broken iPad - Apple Store should be your next stop.

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Okay, so you have a broken screen and trying to figure out a way to lock it since the screen is damaged and not acting like normal.

The only thing that I can think of would be guided access. Not sure if it will fully work though.

14. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

15. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

I've seen this issue happen on a few different iPads with bad screens or bad screen replacements.

16. SophiaKap thread starter macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

I've tried guided access. The feature itself doesn't seem to work. I can't seem to make the feature itself work.

I've reset it. It did not fix the problem, although, it did minimize it a bit.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

As I said above, your iPad is not functioning properly. This is likely a hardware problem. Why don't you take it in to get repaired or replaced instead of looking for a workaround?

18. SophiaKap thread starter macrumors newbie

SophiaKap

I don't have a warranty and I'm not interested in repairing an old iPad.

The motives should be irrelevant. I only asked if there was a screen-locking system integrated into the iPad or as an app. If there isn't, well that's too bad.

19. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

maybe there's a tool for this if you jailbreak? It's a completely moot option on a normally functioning device, so I can see why it's not a thing now.

20. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The iPad is behaving unpredictably because it has a broken screen. It's kind of like asking, "Does my car have a feature for driving with a broken steering wheel?"

If the screen is broken, it is incapable of interpreting touch as designed. There's a grid of tiny wires embedded in the screen for detecting touch. Some of them are broken - they may be contributing to the false appearance of a touch, they may fail to detect a touch, they may mis-report the location of a touch.... Who knows how many ways a broken screen might mis-interpret/mis-report a touch?

Even if a feature existed that would do as you asked when the screen is working normally, you cannot be sure it would work correctly when the touchscreen is broken.

There's a saying in computing: Garbage in, garbage out. Your touchscreen is sending garbage to the CPU. You figure out the rest.

I'm sorry your screen is broken - if I broke the screen to my six-year-old, first-generation iPad, I wouldn't pay to replace it, either. But there are times when you have to accept that broke is broke. Pleading with an online forum for a solution isn't going to make one magically appear.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm afraid your SOL.