How can I lower my gaming ping?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mispolyc, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mispolyc macrumors newbie

Is it possible to lower my gaming ping? it is almost impossible to play halo when I am not the host. I have tried to install firewalls, to block unnecessary connections, but my ping is still up there in the 500-600s:mad:
    My internet connection is fast, I have checked my router's configuration, but the ping is terrible.

What can I do to lower it?

2. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

If you describe your internet as being 'fast' you shouldn't have ping times between 500 ms and 600 ms.

- Go to speedtest.net and reply with your results from there.
    - Try connecting straight from the modem to the gaming machine (you didn't specify console or PC) to see if it is the router that has gone bad.
    - Contact your ISP

3. belvdr macrumors 601

To note, installing firewalls on one side of a connection is not going to help your latency. For example, if you install a firewall blocking pings, and I do a ping flood to you, my traffic is still going to saturate your line.

I'd follow the advice above. It is spot on.

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Also, you say 'when I am not the host'... When you are not the host, are you connecting to a local server, a server on the other side of the world, or one of your friends who has set his machine as the host? All these things will make a difference.