How can I make a USB installer without buying Mountain Lion from the App Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swunderful, May 1, 2013.

1. swunderful macrumors newbie

Hello folks, I'm about to install my SSD and I'm at a hotel.

I was planning on installing ML onto the SSD using Internet Recovery but the internet is far too slow. I was hoping it would be faster.

I've found a link showing how to make a USB installer when you have the installer downloaded from the App store, but how do I do it when I just want it to install to the same computer?

Surely I don't have to rebuy it just for installing to my new Macbook that came with it already right?

2. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Use a USB drive with more than 16GB of storage space with nothing on it. Boot into Internet recovery. Tell it to install on your external USB drive. Wait for it to download. When your computer restarts, yank the USB drive out (this is important or the installer will continue to install Mac OS onto your USB drive).

When your computer boots into your existing mac install, plug your drive back in and look on the drive for an InstallESD.dmg file. It may be buried in folders/packages.

Proceed from there per normal bootable USB instructions.

3. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

So I still need to download it again? If that's the case I might as well just do the internet recovery, however unfortunately the internet at the hotel is much too slow to download ML. It's 2.5 mb/s and will take a long time. I was hoping there's a way it's already someone built into what I have my Macbook right now.

Thank you for the reply

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

5. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a big fan of cloning, especially from HDD to SSD. I've had annoying problems in the past after doing it

6. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

How long ago did you try it, and with what software? I've been very happy the last few years with SuperDuper!

If you're not a fan of cloning, then you probably won't be convinced it's safe, but if you think about it logically, why not try it? It's not like you can brick the SSD or ruin the original HDD by doing so. It's fast, like you want, and you can do it while sitting on the hotel room bed in minutes.

Both my 2012 MacBook Pros have SSDs inside that were cloned from the original HDD from Apple. Both HDDs are still fine in their boxes, and both laptops are running flawlessly... which I use for business. If it didn't work, I'd lose shocking amounts of money. The MBP I'm writing this from has two SSDs, and I've actually cloned back and forth between the two of them three times, just to run some tests on the SSD in the optical bay.

It's your problem, and I understand the perfectionist appeal of clean installs, but I say it's a huge waste of time with today's tools.

7. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

Fine fine, you've convinced me to try it.

I brought a 2.5" exclosure with me actually, is that what I use? Plug the SSD into the enclosure, run SuperSuper that's it?

I'll also need to update the SSD firmware (840 Pro) with my boot disc I made so I think I can do that after the clone without removing the data (non destructive)

8. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Yup, I just used an Apricorn SATA to USB cable that came with one of my Crucial M4 SSDs, even though I was cloning to a Samsung 840 Pro.

The firmware update should be no problem once the SSD is installed.

9. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help, one more question though if you don't mind.

It says the following:
    [​IMG]

What should I do for this?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That check box is set so that you don't delete root level stuff, i.e., /

If its a fresh drive, it doesn't matter, for my cloning I delete everything off the destination so that checkbox is cleared.

11. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up choosing don't delete, dammit, my bad.

I chose it because it had already partitioned to create the recovery part of the hard drive so I didn't want to reverse that.

Oh well, I'm sure it will work :) If not I'll do it again keeping delete everything selected.

This SSD was brand new and I had just formatted it as GUID and extended journaled so I'm surprised that option wasn't greyed out for me as well.

12. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I'd uncheck that, since you don't want any leftover junk on the SSD. You only want the original HDD contents on the SSD.

----------

Well, the good thing is that if it doesn't work, you can re-clone it again with the box cleared. :)

13. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure hope it works! I won't know until I switch the SSD in and if it doesn't I'll need to switch the HDD back and do it all over again! Fingers crossed.

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I hope you come back and tell us how it went! I'm interested in hearing if you still have the recovery partition on the SSD, since you said you put it on there beforehand, if I understood correctly.

I leave the recovery partition off my clones, since it doesn't help me any. Now, if 'recovery' could do a clean install WITH all my installed applications... now THAT would be something! :p

15. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm back.

So I got it installed, it booted :) It takes a while for the Apple logo to come up... a little weird. But after the Apple logo it's like 5 seconds.

How do I check if I still have the recovery?

One problem though - it won't let me update it. I downloaded the .iso and burned it to the disc, booted from the disc and I get an error. One disc got a line 20 address error, the second attempt a "no boot disk - insert disk error".

I think I may be burning the disc wrong, not sure what's up with that.

Speedtest before update (fw update should improve it)
    [​IMG]

16. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

This thing is blazing fast. I just shut down with stuff open from the desktop in less then 3 seconds, booted in 10 -_-

Just used my forth CD, still not booting into the firmware installer. Hold option and it shows up but when I click it there's always a different error :(

17. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

The command below in Terminal will show you.

Code:
     diskutil list /
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *180.0 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Mountain                179.2 GB   disk0s2
       3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

18. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the recovery. CCC is a beauty. It wasn't done before sorry I was confusing.

I tried to start it with only one partition, but CCC recognized this and asked me if I wanted to copy the recovery, and if so I should click "yes". So I did and it went off creating a separate partition and did it all for me :)

Thank you for recommending cloning... I've always been against it but it's working flawlessly. Knock on wood.

19. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

To see if the recovery partition is there, open Terminal.
    Type this:
    diskutil list

You'll get something like this:
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS YourMacSSDName 255.7 GB disk0s2

If there's a recovery partition, you'll see it below the main partition, probably 650MB, listed as:
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD

My speeds are about the same on DXM04B0Q firmware, but mine didn't need updating, as it was already this latest one.

Attached Files:

20. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

See above :)

21. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Nice, and good news! I was a little slow to respond, and was beaten to it.

22. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel a little silly... I was under the assumption it needed to be updated.

Turns out I'm running Revision: DXM04B0Q

As far as I can tell the newest FW... no wonder it wasn't working. :rolleyes:

23. BL4zD macrumors 6502

You'll also find out if you have a recovery partition when you try to enable Find My Mac. If you don't have one it won't let you :)

Glad everything worked out.

24. swunderful thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks friend, it's laughably fast. Find My Mac is working.

I took a Quicktime video of opening 15 programs in a row on the Applications folder, garageband, ms office, ms powerpoint etc. I just watched it and compared it to opening the exact same list on the SSD. MILES different. Like over a minute and a half.

I'm very happy right now.

25. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

One question: How did you speed test using AJA? It doesn't let me select the volume to test. I just looked it up and somewhere it said you cannot test boot drives? How did you do this?