How can i make apps and the camera stop asking me for my damn location?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Eh? I tried to disable it under exceptions or whatever but no dice.

2. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

did you try

Turning off location services?:rolleyes:

3. The General macrumors 601

1. Open camera
    2. Hit "allow"
    3. Close camera
    4. Open camera
    5. Hit "allow"

You will never see it again.

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

each app asks twice, annoying, but i can see why,

I'm glad apple takes location biased services a serious thing, ans secure.

5. Cargo8 macrumors newbie

Settings -> General -> Location Settings: Off

6. MSHax macrumors newbie

That's not the right way, that shuts off all location services including map. I'm curious about shutting off the service without allowing it. Why the hell should I allow the camera to know where I am? There are a lot of apps I don't see any bennefit in allowing them to know where I am. And before anyone says "security, so they can track the phone" my answer is in all my 17 years of using cellphones I have yet to lose one OR have one stolen.
    Basically:
    Does anyone know how to shut off that message WITHOUT allowing it and WITHOUT shutting off all the location services?

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Exactly what I was going to say. Apple needs to implement a list (like with notifications) to turn off location services per app... and fast.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Umm...
    It's not about security at all.

It's about geo-tagging photos. It saves the coordinates of where you took the picture into the metadata of the photo, so that when you put it in iPhoto or Flickr, you'll be able to know where you took all the pictures you took.

Apple doesn't ever know where you're using your phone, it's just pulling the location data from the satellites into the picture.

9. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Is there any way to turn camera geotagging on if it has been inadvertently denied by the user?

10. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

EXACTLY !!!! We should be able to turn location services on/off on a per App basis.

I've been wanting to start a thread on this for several months now, but you beat me to it. I want my location services on all the time for maps and other Apps, but I'm [expletive] annoyed with it constantly asking me if I want to use my location in the camera App!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't see what the big deal is. Only the satellite and your phone is aware of the information and it's saved to the picture. It's not broadcasting your location.

And those wanting the option to turn on/turn off your location settings. What apps are you using that you want this functionality? I have several apps that use location - but that's because that's a big part of the functionality. What's the point in "aroundme" if you don't tell it where you are? Maps? UrbanSpoon? Fandango? Weather? Without location services on - the apps are pretty much useless for me (personally).