How can i make items in a folder stay arranged

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgrl, Feb 23, 2010.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

I click view and click to have them nice and neat in a list, but when i exit the folder and them come back they are viewed as icons and are all over the place not even in nice rows. Is there a default setting so that all items in a folder and folders within folders will be arranged in a certain view?

Many thanks:)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Then the line at the top of the above screen shot probably reads "Always open in Icon View" and is checked. Doing as the picture suggests, you'll have every window opening in List View. If that's not what you want, you have to be more judicious in applying the "Always open..." check box. Enclosing folders usually control the settings for other folders within them. However, that can be altered by opening SVO for the sub-folders and changing things to suit your needs.

4. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help guys :)

Do I have to do that in every folder or will it act as a default? I did what the photo has and it hasn't worked.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you click Use as Defaults, it will be used as the defaults. ;)

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not sure where you're going wrong on that. Maybe some more info will help...

If you have Show View Options open, and click on the toolbar View buttons, you'll notice that the "Always open in..." line changes to whichever View is active. If the original one is checked, when you change the view, that box will not be checked. And when you go back to the original View, it will still be checked. If you check an unchecked box, then go back to the originally set View, the box will not be checked any more. In other words, it's as if all four were actually listed, but you can only have one checked at a time.

When you click the Use as Defaults button, what happens?
    Are folders within the folder you did that from changed to conform to those settings?
    Are folders enclosing (containing) the folder you did that from changed also?

7. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for sticking with me, I have fixed it now and all is in order:)