How can I make my computer run like it did when it was new?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agmetal, Feb 28, 2009.

1. agmetal macrumors member

I have a 1GHz titanium G4 Powerbook with 512MB RAM, and in the last couple years or so, it's started to show its age more and more. I see the pinwheel a lot, it runs a bit hotter than I remember, and the fans are noisy. It's been suggested that I clear my hard drive, and re-install the OS. The problem is, my optical drive won't burn anymore, and it doesn't read everything. I can't afford to replace the optical drive right now, but I'd like to be able to make it run a bit more smoothly, like it used to, and I don't want to lose my important stuff. I do have an external HD with enough space for most of the important stuff.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The simplest solution would be to add more ram. I am guessing that you have been upgrading/updating/adding software all this time. When that system came out, 512 was OK, but software these days can be a lot more demanding.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

whats your system updating history? what os is it currently running?

4. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Edit * ye , what OS are you on and is it upto date ?
    \

Give Onyx a go, it'll run all the maintenance scripts etc , try that before anything else , it's free and easy.

Versions for Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and Leopard are available here:
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I would do the following:
    1. BACK EVERYTHING UP, or at least the important stuff
    2. Repair permissions in Disk Utility (open Disk Utility, select your HD on the left, and hit "repair permissions")
    3. Zap your PRAM (hold down command+option+P+R on startup until you hear the chime again)
    4. Run maintenance scripts via Onyx (links in above post)
    5. Add more RAM-this will make everything noticeable faster

6. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

The problem is, the RAM for the titanium PowerBooks seems to be pretty expensive...over $60 for 512MB.

I got it in September 2003, and I'm pretty sure I started off with Jaguar...whatever was current at the time. I got Panther around when that came out, and the same with Tiger.

I'm running OSX v.10.4.8, and it's been a while since I've run Software Update. I downloaded MainMenu last night, is that similar to Onyx? I ran a couple things on there, but I haven't noticed any improvements. Maybe I need to restart?

What does this mean, exactly?

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'd get it fully up to date via SU before you do anything else ,if I was you.Just because Apple have fixed a ton of bugs etc....

Never used MainMenu so I couldn't say, but I've never had one problem with Onyx , in fact I used it today for an issue and bingo , sorted it! ( btw I run a G3iMac)

Maybe a restart would be an idea, run software update and you'll have to do one anyway.

Onyx has a good rep and does what it says it will, personally I'd go with that over MainMenu .

Makes sense to do all the updates and run Onyx before you go buying RAM etc , RAM wouldn't hurt ( and maybe a faster HD) but lets see what the free stuff does first.

8. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Dude, what about;

www.finallyfast.com

I'm joking, that has to be the most retarded infomercial ever.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

10. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

What's the best way to go about backing up the important stuff? Is that something I can do with Disk Utility?

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've been using MainMenu for years and, in my opinion, it's better than Onyx. It's small, quick, stays out of your way and best of all it runs a ton of UNIX scripts that maintain your system. Just make sure it clears out your logs, etc. Dig around the preferences to enable them on your batch run.

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

13. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

I updated to 10.4.11, bought a can of compressed air and cleaned the dust out of the inside and the fans, restarted, and ran OnyX. The fans are running much more quietly...one is still a bit noisy, but it's a huge improvement over what it was, so far. OnyX says that my startup disk needs to be repaired, so I guess I should do that. Will I need to back up everything before I do that, since I need to start up with the install disk?

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You ought to try File System Check (fsck -fy) in Single User Mode.

15. JediMeister macrumors 68040

While running Disk Utility involves booting up to the install disc, you shouldn't need to backup unless you're planning on doing the reinstall shortly afterward. The two operations are completely separate processes. To run Disk Utility, ignore the installer window after picking English as the main language, go straight to the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, run DU. After you're done you can close DU, go to the Installer menu, then quit, where you can bring up the startup disk settings or just restart the computer.

16. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

I re-ran the disk verification utility, and it told me that there was a minor issue with the bit-mapping, so I ran the repair from the install DVD and fixed that. I also reset the PRAM. I guess now I'll just have to give it some time to see if it runs more smoothly than it has the last year or so.

17. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

+1 for this. Restart while holding down command+S to boot into single user mode. A screen looking like command prompt will come up. Then type fsck -fy. This will perform a disk check and tell you what is wrong with your HD. When it's done, type reboot and it will restart your comp.

18. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

I'm not seeing any real differences yet, after spraying with compressed air, resetting PRAM, running OnyX, repairing permissions, and repairing the disk while booted from the install DVD. Also, the fan is noisy again (it's mainly the one on the right side of the computer).

19. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Considering that you started with OS 10.2, and have not likely defragmented since September 2003, I would recommend you backup your data however you like, and then pop in your 10.4 disc, and Erase the drive with Disk Utility. Then re-install and restore your data.

Plan B: Buy iDefrag and let it run a full defrag overnight.

20. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Like the guy above said do a reinstall of the OS, no need to defrag it though if your rewrite the OS over everything. Do an erase and install
    If that doesn't do anything I'd then get some RAM and a faster HD .

21. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

Last night, I copied my Applications and Home folders to my external HD, since those contain the vast majority of what I want to keep in the event of a mass data loss. When copying those folders, it said that some files would not be possible to copy due to special permissions. I have no idea what those files would be, though. If I erase my HD and re-install the OS, and then just copy those folders back over, how much software re-installation am I likely to have to deal with?

22. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

use superduper to clone the drive , everything will be saved and you can just reinstall the clone back on ? link is above.

23. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

I take it that the free trial version should be enough?

Also, any ideas on how to make my fan stop being noisy? I've sprayed it with compressed air a good bit, but it's still rattling a lot. If it matters, iStat Pro is telling me that my HD temp. is about 106ºF.

24. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Pretty much any application that you installed using an installer (instead of just dragging to your Applications folder) will need to be reinstalled. The reason for this is that installers sometimes put information in various locations besides just the actual application you see in your Applications folder. Therefore, I would recommend backing up only a list of your applications and maybe some settings, and then downloading/installing all of your applications from scratch. It's a pain, but you'll have all the newest versions and everything will be fresh.

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep, should go without a hitch.