How can i make my Mac see my PC through our home network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mr.stinki, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I only have a modem, so, I don't know if i have to get a router or something.

I currently have 2 computers connected to my Modem (along with my Wii, and my iPhone)

How can i make it so my mac can "see and talk" with my PC through my home network?

Thanks everyone!!

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

If you're just looking to be able to transfer files, you can enable sharing on your Windows PC (on any folder you wish). You're Mac should pick it up automatically, and you can log in through the Network location in your Finder.

To enable sharing on a folder in Windows, I believe you right click and go to properties, and then select the Sharing tab.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Are you sure your "modem" doesn't have a router in it? If you can connect to the internet from your Mac and your PC at the same time, then the computers are probably already networked together, and you should be able to "see" your PC from your Mac.

You can either turn on file sharing on your PC and then look from it from the network on your Mac, or turn on PC file sharing on the Mac, and look for your Mac from the PC.

I have better luck with turning on the sharing on the Mac, and using the PC to see your Mac, but that may be because I am more comfortable with the Mac than the PC...

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I'd like to reinforce this post. Most "modems" that are provided by your ISP have routers built in. With a normal modem, only one device can connect to the internet at one time, which is why we have routers.