Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Greetings!

My M1 MacBook Air is at 80% battery health,
and I need a new battery before my AppleCare ends so I can hand it down in perfect condition and battery as well so it lasts a long time for the next person.

According to the BatteryBDC folder, it literally was SO CLOSE to reaching 79, but the battery health decided to go up.
1705645515578.png

Any ideas on how I can get my MacBook to 79?

I tried an app that stresses your CPU for no reason, along with auto clicking in Roblox, and that did not work... all it did was go up...

Looking forward to any responses,
Sincerely Will.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Have looked at extending AppleCare? It is no longer limited to 3 years.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like you have a "self-regenerating battery". Wish I could find one, too.
You should be able to add about 25% to your possible sell price. :rolleyes:
(At least, until the battery health starts to go down again -- and it will.
And, probably not at a convenient time to help your sale )

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Greetings!

and I need a new battery before my AppleCare ends so I can hand it down in perfect condition and battery as well so it lasts a long time for the next person.

According to the BatteryBDC folder, it literally was SO CLOSE to reaching 79, but the battery health decided to go up.
View attachment 2338356

I tried an app that stresses your CPU for no reason, along with auto clicking in Roblox, and that did not work... all it did was go up...

Sincerely Will.
You can extend AC+ month to month.
Batteries incl LiIon can recalibrate if exercised 0-100-0 charge so you might be in for a longer ride

Reactions: Tagbert

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
The yearly AppleCare is so worth it. There is no repair that will be cheaper than the annual fee. And even if you consider the cost of 2-3-4-5 years, there will be few repairs that are.

And in my experience, Murphy’s Law applies… if your Mac dies out of warranty, it’ll be just before Apple is likely going to release an upgraded version that I would otherwise wait for.

Reactions: Student of Life

MacPeasant123

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
Greetings!

View attachment 2338356

Sincerely Will.
I had this problem a few months back. I'm running a 2020 Intel MacBook Pro and my 3 year AppleCare was down to the last few weeks. Using Coconut Battery, it showed that my battery health was constantly moving between 79.4% to 83%. Very annoying.

What I did was to run the Mac on battery, and then constantly run Handbrake and convert the same six .mov Quicktime files to mp4 until I drained the battery to below 10%, often going to 5% or lower. Then I recharge it back up, and do the Handbrake conversions again. Rinse and repeat. I did this on and off for maybe 3 weeks leading up to the end of AppleCare coverage, and I got in maybe 80-90 battery cycles during that time.

I made an appointment and took it to an Apple Store (this is in Shanghai, China where I lived at the time) on the evening of the last day the AppleCare coverage was valid. Before I went, Coconut Battery showed the battery was just below 80%, at maybe 79.8% or something like that. When I got to the Apple Store and was waiting my turn to talk to the Genius, Coconut Battery showed the battery was above 80% again. I just felt so deflated. But I was already there, so I went through the process.

The Genius came, checked it out with their gear and software, and eventually he came back and told me the battery was at like 81% or something like that, so it doens't qualify under their rules for the battery replacement. However, he added that he feels the battery could go under 80% at any time soon, perhaps as soon as tomorrow right after the coverage expires. He doesn't want that to happen, so he said he would apply for his manager's permission to allow him to replace the battery anyways, which might take a few days due to parts availability or the waiting list, etc. I thanked him.

He came back later and said his manager gave him permission to do so, and he said since the coverage ends tonight, they can't put my Mac in the queue to replace the battery in a few days, due to whatever Apple policies. Therefore, as an added bonus for me, they prioritized replacing the battery (which he said also includes replacing the whole top half of the MacBook Pro as they're soldered together) and I can pick it up tomorrow morning.

That is exactly what happened: I got a text message the next morning that it was ready for pick-up, and the whole top half of the MacBook Pro was replaced as the keyboard looked new when I got it back.

Whether what I did would work for you, I don't know, but that's my story.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
run maximum load drain the battery completely in low temperature, keep it there and repeatedly attempt to boot until it is so dead nothing happens when pressing the power button, and leave it there for a couple days.
charge back up with the fastest charger, and repeat.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
I think it may drop today. So what I did was I put my MacBook in the freezer while it was running the CPU Stress app I talked about earlier. This is about 15 minutes after doing that, and the design capacity in coconut is 67.4, it was 61% earlier, but it has not increased for a while.

I just need to wait for macOS to check the battery health again, and will keep you updated.
1705831503852.png

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Honestly I feel sorry for those batteries. They'll probably keep on chugging even in 5 years and still hold a good charge at 60-70% health.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I think it may drop today. So what I did was I put my MacBook in the freezer while it was running the CPU Stress app I talked about earlier. This is about 15 minutes after doing that, and the design capacity in coconut is 67.4, it was 61% earlier, but it has not increased for a while.

I just need to wait for macOS to check the battery health again, and will keep you updated.
View attachment 2339320
You can more rapidly deplete your battery by turning off Optimized Battery Charging and then cycle between 100% charge and 0% (let it shut itself down.) Do this as quickly as possible. This is one of the worst things you can do for battery health and bonus if you can get the battery to heat up while discharging. I think putting it in the freezer actually is going to help extend battery health. Heat is a Li-ion's kryptonite.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I thought forcing the laptop to charge to 100% and let it drain down to 0% has the most impact on battery life.
I believe that the worst thing you can do to your battery is drain it to 0% and leave it there. Though many 0-100-0 cycles in a short amount of time would also wear it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.