how can i make my pics 'pop' like this?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by njmitchel0, May 26, 2010.

  1. njmitchel0 macrumors member

    May 21, 2008
    how do i alter my pictures so they have bright colors and pop similar to these pictures?

  2. Spulture macrumors member

    Dec 14, 2009
    It appears that the images were cut out with the pen tool in Photoshop. Then the house and the family were placed on separate layers.

    They also have a drop shadow that probably helps push them out more against the background.
  3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Mar 22, 2010
    It just so happens that I'm working on a file that requires this technique. There are a couple of things that I'm doing to get a flat photo to "pop". The first thing you have to do is cut it out from your background. Once that's done then I've added through Photoshop's Layer Styles (bottom of Layer palette)...

    Drop Shadow

    Inner Glow (Black set to Multiply. This will give your edges more contour. The shadowing effect helps to make them look like they are turning away from the viewer.)

    Bevel and Emboss (Yes, you can bevel and emboss photos!)

    Sharpening (Unsharp Mask with a low amount and high radius 32/32/0 can help to enhance the larger shapes in an image.)

    And here's what that looks like (original on the left, popped on the right)...

    Attached Files:

  4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816


    Jul 9, 2009
    375th St. Y

    citizenzen: Thats a great little how-to! Just about nailed it :)
  5. njmitchel0 thread starter macrumors member

    May 21, 2008
  6. bluetooth macrumors 6502a


    May 1, 2007

Share This Page