How can I make Safari zoom like Chrome?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by odedia, Jun 7, 2014.

1. odedia macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I really want to use Safari (especially with the new Yosemite update), but I can't stand the zoom in feature when I do a two-finger pinch on the trackpad. It makes no sense, the whole page is out of place. For example, try it while viewing an image on facebook. The zoom goes all the way to the right and bottom. Plus, it doesn't persist between pages.

On chrome (or on Safari when you type Cmd-+), you get the whole page to rezoom it's text. It's not a view change, it's a render change. It makes a lot more sense.

Has anyone figured out a way to make the same feature work on Safari?

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Have you ever use Safari?

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

The zoom is dependent on where you have the cursor when you 2 finger swipe. If it is on the right side of the screen, it zooms there. If the cursor is on the left side of the screen, it zooms there. With Chrome, it zooms to the upper left of the screen regardless of where the cursor is. I prefer safari zoom.

4. 960design macrumors 68020

From your Mac: System Preferences->Accessiblity->Zoom

This will create a smooth zoom for everything.

5. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

6. millk18 macrumors regular

My experience is that you reverse pinch in Chrome and the entire page zooms at center AND REMEMBERS THAT POSITION WHEN YOU RETURN TO THAT PAGE. That is a big deal. Safari forces you to double tap each and every time. Small thing to some perhaps but a big annoyance to me.

And one more thing... is there anything like Foxtab for Safari. Foxtab is a 3D tabbed-browsing extension originally for Firefox but now for Chrome also.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can do cmd +/- in Safari and I missing something ?

8. millk18 macrumors regular

Now close the tab/window, then reopen it. Did it remember your setting?

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

But I don't want it to remember my setting. If I choose to zoom it's only ever temporary.

10. millk18 macrumors regular

I want to take advantage of my glorious 27-inch screen. I set the page in Chrome to the ideal size and never have to worry about it again. "Set it and forget it." I just wish Safari had that baked in.

Just as I wish Safari had a great extension like Foxtab for my frequently used bookmarks. <sigh>