Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
When you connect your phone to iTunes, it will show a message asking if you want to update. Just say no. Easy as that. Don't worry, it will not magically update on it's own.;)

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
You can check the checkbox that says "Don't show this message again" and you forget about it.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
It has to download the firmware for 1.1.1 to update it.

When you press update the first time it downloads the firmware BEFORE it updates so you get a few minutes at least between the download and update starting.

I would simply delete any downloaded firmware if you have any - and if you don't then like I said you have a bit of time before the actual update starts so i wouldn't worry!

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
what i did...tell your firewall to not allow itunes net access. if you need to buy a song you can easily switch it back for a few minutes.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
ok so thats a good method:

stop itunes connecting to the internet!

If you have the firmware already delete it - that way it will never be able to update even if you press the button by mistake.

If you decide to use itunes then allow it through the firewall when the phone is NOT connected, then stop it connecting and then plug the phone back in.

Good idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.