How can I "make" the Imac27 land China SUCCESSFULLY?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AsianGIRLpure, Nov 26, 2009.

1. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

Well, considering the price of Imac 27 is about $300 higher in China than it's in USA, so I plan to buy a Imac 27 tomorrow. But, problem is HOW CAN I MAKE THE IMAC LAND CHINA SUCCESSFULLY :( YEAH, forget about the shipping Via third party, not only Chinese government will charge import tax but the shipping fee is just too much. So, can I check the Imac as fragile product at airport, so it will be taken good care of:D Thanks a million 谢谢你们:D

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Your post is a little confusing. Are you saying you're buying an iMac in the US and bringing it back to China with you? If so, keep the iMac in its original box and put fragile stickers on the box when you check it in. The airports usually have those ready.

I checked an iMac in on a flight from one end of the USA to the other and then again to England and it survived it just fine. Apple packages those things pretty well.

I was tempted to wrap my iMac box in brown paper so no one could see what it was but I decided not to bother. Maybe BECAUSE its contents were obvious it was treated nicer, I don't know. The reason I decided against wrapping it was that I didn't want it placed upside down or on its side. I don't know what they did with it but it made it okay. :)

Will the American iMac have everything you need to use it in China? Such as an appropriate keyboard? If you are going to be assessed import charges (and you can still get those at the airport when you arrive) you may want to consider just buying your iMac in China.

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah, think she means she wants to send the iMac back to China.

This is a good point. It may be cheaper to just buy the iMac in China, because you'll probably be assessed import fees at customs upon arriving. :S

4. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Well the one way you can get away with it is claim that it was purchased in China and brought to the U.S. for whatever reason and is now going back. Do you plan on carrying it on? It will easier to stuff the box in suitcase than carrying it bare which is just advertising that you bought it in the U.S.

5. AsianGIRLpure thread starter macrumors member

I saw the box in bestbey today, it is pretty big, so, I'm wondering if I can stuff the box in suitcase. :confused:

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

It certainly won't be a carry on. Not sure if you want to risk checking it in. IMO it is best to not risk it and just buy it in China. Do it for like a notebook but a iMac seems to be too much hassle. I would find out the amount of tax you would incur. If it is less than or about $300 you have nothing to lose, if it is much higher I would just buy it in China and buy some accessories in the U.S.