How can I make this happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisN, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Ok, well first off I have a launch date iPhone and my dad wants the new 3G iPhone. So far I think he's ineligible (we are all on a family plan) but I know he's really wanted one and I want to get him on.
    This summer I might get a job and I want to save up for a MBP but I don't know should I get a MBP or iPhone? I could always get an iPhone on my bday 8/12.

So basically how can i get my dad a new iPhone and should I get a MBP or iphone?

Thanks,
    ChrisN

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

He could get an UNsubsidized iPhone if he is indeed not elgible to upgrade. As far as your decision, put your need over your want is all I can say. Personally, I would get the MBP 1st since you already have an iPhone. Best of luck :cool:

3. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

i was thinking of paying the termination fee for him if we could do that because i did not get him a good fathers day gift.
    Also, I think your right about MBP I have been pulling for that for a long time and aslong as i get version 2.0 firmware i guess i will be fine.

ChrisN

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

If at&t and Apple stay true to what they've said and are going to stick to the 2-year contract the original iPhone resale value is going to go up a bit on eBay so you could always see what happens there and if it is advantageous for you to sell your phone and have enough to get the new phone and pay the early termination fee for him.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

What if he cancels and tries to come back and AT&T states that he must be gone for at least 90 days to be considered a new customer which has been done before :confused:

6. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

then i think he can't get a iphone for a while then lol, but can I upgrade, give him my old phone than switch sim cards so he gets the new phone with his number and i keep my phone with the same number?
    ChrisN

7. kdog1176 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Personally, I decided to keep my 1st gen iPhone (bought it a few months ago). And went ahead and purchased a MacBook (1st mac).

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Huh? How is that a decision?
    One is $2,000. One is $200.

Should I get a Big Mac or a Plasma TV?

9. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

lol well one is more expensive and takes longer and the other is instant gratification.

I guess a more suitable comparision might be

should I get a 40 sd tv or a 60 hd tv lol

ChrisN

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yeah, 2 totally different things.

Do you need apps like Illustrator or Photoshop?

Do you need the use for Flash?

etc, etc....

If you need to ask if you need a MBP, then buy the iPhone, cause you don't need the MBP.

Since buying an iPhone, I barely take the PB on trips with me anymore.

11. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

why do you need a MBP
    You already have an iMac and a MacBook. Just invest it man... unless there is something wrong with your computers.

12. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Im gonna need it for school, I have my dad and mom using the windows on the macbook and my sister using the imac for homework. I want the MBP for the graphics card, larger screen than macbook and to run windows better than the macbook.
    If i decide to get the MBP i will get a refurb one unless a new one comes out with a better graphics card than i will save up for the newer mbp.

ChrisN

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Are you a college student (or soon to be)? Buy the MBP, get the free iPod Touch, and sell the iPod touch and you'll be able to buy the iPhone.

14. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

my cousin will get it for me since he goes to usc

chrisN