How can I make this work - family plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericjohnmc, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ericjohnmc macrumors newbie

New to this board and have been searching...but unable to really find a clear answer and hoping someone on here has done this, or know of a solution.

I have:

3 phone family plan

2 iphone 3g plans (upgrades not avail. until January)
    1 older Tilt phone (upgrade is available on this line)

Question:
    If I was to upgrade the "tilt" line to the 3GS, how would I be able to user my old 3g phone number. I know I could just put the sim card in the new iphone and it should work just fine (or so I think).

Can I cancel the data plan on the old 3g iphone?

I guess what I want is 2 iphones and one older phone on my account. I am not looking to pay 3x$30 for internet. My 10year old uses the third line and I just am not ready to give him full internet access. I would love to upgrade that phone to get the discount, but not sure how to work it out.

Confused!... any help?

I am fine with the $60 a month for internet, but $90 is a little much.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It wouldn't hurt to call AT&T, b/c they can handle special needs cases and blocking a data plan for a 10 year-old....

3. ericjohnmc thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that is probably the best bet... ask ATT ha ha. Just was assuming to get the discounted price, I have to have internet. Then I see another post of someone buying and selling the phones and canceling the data plans. Didn't think you could do that for 2 years.

Has anyone else canceled a data plan before?

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

The data plan is only required when using the iPhone on that line. It is not part of your contract, it is just attached to the iPhone. If you replace an iPhone with any other phone then you can have the data removed at any time.

You can just upgrade your old line, use the new phone with your sim card. The only thing you might have to do is call and cancel the $30 data plan that got added to the 3rd line.

AT&T should be able to help you with this. I've heard of lots of people using upgrades on other lines to get new iPhones for themselves.

5. ericjohnmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Going to try this out next week while I am in Vegas. Got the other 2 3g's out there last summer... figured why not make this an annual event in Vegas. Just wasn't sure how to do it.

Paying $50 for internet at home, plus 3 iphone internet plans is just a little too much internet for me.

Hope this works out.

Thanks again!