iPad How can I manage files on the iPad? (with "open with" option)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sava, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sava macrumors newbie

hi,

I want to move an enitre folder from my pc to Ipad.
    The folder contains documents in pdf/doc/docx/excel/ppt/pps and similar formats.

I want to be able to open & edit each file in a specific app.
    For example for a .doc file I will use one app for reading and other app for editting.

How can I do this? (without dropbox or other internet solutions)

I know there are a lot of file manger apps with "open in" option. but as far as I know - this option only copy the file to the target app and I can't move it back to the file manager.

2. jsd79 macrumors member

I've found GoodReader very useful for organizing files. It reads many file types, but doesn't edit many. It can easily send files to other apps using "open in," but I don't know of any app that will accept files back after editing quite like what you've described (I.e. Without Dropbox or another external file storage service). I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has suggestions.

3. TheAnvil macrumors regular

You can't.

This is possible if you jailbreak and use something like iFile (from cydia).
    If you're using iOS 7, you're out of luck, you'll have to wait till we get a jailbreak.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

That's one of the issues with the sandbox approach from Apple. As long the apps not supporting any kind of sharing (WebDAV, dropbox, ...) you don't get the files. The last fallback solution is via iTunes where you can access the documents of apps.
    For example: latest version of Numbers under iOS 7 allow you to open files in others apps ; even in native format. But it still duplicate your files.

5. sava thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks. I want to ask something else :)

Why are so many people still use IOS devices (like Ipad) if they are limited?
    I want to buy Ipad as a doc reader because of the screen quality, but the more I ask the more "you can't" I get :/

6. ChristianJapan, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

For content creation, when it's more relevant to share files (even just for versioning or backup) you have some "limitations". Mostly there are workarounds. You could also look into office apps like Polaris which comes with file manager.

As a reader the iPad is great; get one. Apps like GoodReader makes it quite easy to manage a good number of files; even iBooks would be ok for that.

And yes, maybe the iPad is not ideal for you. That's possible.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think people buy them because even though they are limited, what they can do, they do well.

For instance, you are interested in using the iPad as a doc reader, and as a reader, I think you'll find that the iPad is better than a desktop or laptop computer. But if you want to edit docs, you"ll likely find that a traditional computer is better.

But also, you might be thinking too much in terms of replicating your computer workflow on the iPad. An iPad can be quite useful if you don't try to use it like a notebook replacement, but more like a notebook supplement. For instance, I've given up trying to copy entire folders of documents to my iPad and keep them organized there. It can be done, but it's not an efficient use of the iPad. What I do is grab just the files I'm working on at the moment, work on them, then send them back to the computer when I'm done.

8. TheAnvil macrumors regular

To add to what others have said, the iPad does not pretend to be all and end all device. It is a complementary device, not a supplementary one.
    Content creation takes a back seat to content consumption.

If this isn't what you're after, and you're looking for something far more "capable", the Surface Pro might be more to your liking. I suggest you look into it or wait to see what comes about from the rumours of the iPad Pro.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

This is a good explanation. There are times when I do wish my iPad did have some file manipulation capabilities. But, I'll trade that off for a secure, reliable platform with zillions of great apps available. I do think we expect tablets to be just like our laptops and PCs but then they wouldn't be tablets anymore...would they? ;)

10. caubeck macrumors 6502

I deal with documents all the time, using several apps one after another. Once you've made the changes you just reopen the altered document into your storage app and delete the original. You can have a folder for modified docs and another for originals, if you want. My needs may be fewer than yours but it works for me.

As I type this I'm using Read Iris to OCR PDFs held in QuickSearch and then I reopen them in QuickSearch afterwards, deleting the original. The result is the same as if I were doing it on the laptop (except Read Iris doesn't seem to work in the background so to write this I'm on the iPad Mini while the iPad Air is doing all the data crunching beside me).

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think that one of the big hurdles that people need to get over is to realize that the traditional way of dealing with files is not that intuitive, and has serious issues of its own. It's just that many of us are so used to it that we don't see it that way anymore.

I would encourage you to try a cloud app like Dropbox, Skydrive, or Box. These really simplify file access from ALL of your computing devices, not just an iPad. It's well worth the learning curve.

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

You could do this ^ or have a network drive to store all your documents from your iPad, PC, etc. and access them from anywhere you have wifi or cellular service. This is the best option for me as it allows access to all files from any device. I installed the My Cloud last weekend and am still putting all my files, photos, music etc. on it. Doesn't take long to do this but I'm trying to catalog everything in folders that make sense. I can typically open any file from my iPad with the only exception being Visio files.

13. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case the iPad is merely a media consumption device. I don't use it to edit or read docs or even to edit photos. The most demanding thing I do on my iPad is painting pictures and even that is only on occasion and just for fun. My ipad is mainly used for Internet, You Tube, and books so iOS doesn't really limit me unless I'm trying to watch a video with flash.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no reason not to use Dropbox or something similar, as such solutions are ideally suited for this purpose. An iPad is not a Mac, and it doesn't have a user-accessible filesystem like OS X. That is not a limitation for most iPad users. For those that do require some of this functionality, solutions like Dropbox are ideal.

15. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Here's one possibility, but it is a bit of a workaround. You could pick up an external hard drive that creates it's own wifi network like a seagate satellite (I think that's the name). You can access the data on the drive via an app.

16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but Apple doesn't think that you're smart enough to manage files. You should look into getting a real tablet running Windows 8 or at least Android if you want to do more than play Angry Birds.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ouch. In all fairness, they do this to protect the device from all manner of stuff that can be downloaded from the Internet. They "sandbox" each app and protect people from themselves. Having said that, I really, really wish for a real files system. I would suggest a sandbox area that all apps can access to read and write files to. I wish Apple provided a bit more functionality in this respect.

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

If u want to view all kinds of docs you can. I use an app called file browser....I have all my files loaded up on my time capsule. Can view and email photos and documents from the app. I create them on the computer and view everything on my ipad. Works well

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

What's wrong with dropbox? That's what I do. Store my files in dropbox (where I can access them via my other computers), view them in dropbox, or open them in other apps (say pdfs in notability for annotation).

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Me too. What we need is a central media location that all apps can access if we "ALLOW" them to. Sort of like how we allow apps to access the photo library.

Until then iOS 6 and iFile till the wheels fall off. :)

21. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

[rolls eyes]

For opinions like that the OP should have gone to, "I-hate-everything-Apple" or "Apple-builds-products-for-morons" instead of MacRumors.

To address the OP's query, as others have said, both GoodReader and Dropbox should be able to do what you want.

22. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The OP specifically states:

C'mon peeps :)

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

OP didn't say why they didn't want an "internet solution," though. And without a specific reason for not using the internet, it's natural that people are going to suggest Dropbox, because that really is the easiest way to manage files between an iPad and a computer.

That said, apps like Good Reader and FileBrowser can manage files on the iPad without involving the internet, and those have been mentioned.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

You left out the part of having to duplicate the file whenever you want to open it in another app. That could be a BIG problem when it comes to large PDFs, especially if you only have 16GB iPad. Bottom line, whoever came up with the idea of not letting users download, store and manage files without ridiculous third party solutions is a moron who should be kicked in the nads then tarred and feathered before being fired and blacklisted from every tech company on Earth. :)

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Wait, the problem with this system that you know, keeps your files in the cloud, so you don't have to fill up your 16GB iPad with all your files, is that it doesn't let you download all of your files filling up your 16GB iPad? :confused:

I think you need to go back to the drawing board. :D

There is a huge reason not to let people manage their own files - and that is the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of users have no idea how to manage their files on their computers. It is the NUMBER ONE stumbling block that I run across with people who aren't highly tech literate.