How can I max out my Core Duo MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RR08EvoX, Jan 25, 2008.

1. RR08EvoX macrumors member

I just bought a refurbed 2ghz core duo macbook. I am going to get 2gb of ram for it but not sure where I can find this for the cheapest price.

Plus I think I want to upgrade the hard drive. Is it worth trying to find a 7200rpm drive? Will that also make the computer run quicker and snappier?

I also want to get a case, something between a sleeve and a case would be great, so I can put it in my backpack and not worry about dropping the backpack to the ground a few inches.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Check Here

I put in a 120GB 7200 rpm and it works fine. Right now you can get a 320GB 5400 rpm (max) and then there are sizes and speeds in between. You need to decide how big you want and then check for it in different speeds. Caution - the larger drives in 7200 rpm run hot and use battery life without a whole lot of speed benefit.

Here is a good place to shop.

I have this and it's great: Click

Good luck with your refurb....I bought the same thing (White 2.0 CD - Refurb) a year ago and have been happy ever since. -GDF

3. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Not necessarily true. The Hitachi 7K200 200GB 7200rpm drive uses almost the same power and generates no more heat than many comparable 5400rpm drives. Hitachi really hit it out of the part with that model. I replaced the stock 5400rpm drive in my MBP (Santa Rosa 2.2GHz) model and couldn't be happier. Yes, it averages a third of a watt more than some 5400rpm drives. That I can live with!

4. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I got a 120GB 7200RPM drive as well. I don't recall the brand off the top of my head, but it had an 8MB buffer. It's a personal decision you'll need to make when maxing out your MB, as to whether you want speed or high capacity. I just keep everything on an external drive, so capacity isn't an issue for me. The speed however made a substantial difference in how long it took apps to open up. I used to get a beach ball waiting for iPhoto to open, but don't anymore.

5. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, 2GB of Ram, Hitachi 7K200 (a blazing fast 200GB 7200RPM hard drive), and (if you're feeling adventurous) a Dell 1500 802.11n wireless card ($30-$40 on eBay).

The Dell Wireless Card uses the same chipset as that used by the Mac Pro. If you swap it for your current internal wireless card (I did mine today), you'll be 802.11n capable. No extra drivers needed-- Not even the 802.11n enabler if you're running Leopard. Its a sweet upgrade.

Just don't let Apple see you using it. ;-)