How can I move everything from my old Mac to my new one?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iChaseH, Jul 21, 2012.

1. iChaseH macrumors member

iChaseH

I currently have a MacBook Air 13" and my new MacBook Pro with Retina display will be arriving next week. I want to move everything from my Air to my Retina because I have a lot of stuff I don't want to lose and I don't want to go through the process of doing it all manually. When I say everything I mean all of it like pictures, movies, applications, programs, music, etc. For example I have MacKeeper and I want to move it to the new one because I use it to encrypt some files on my computer. I basically want a mirror of it all on the new Retina. I realize that Apple will do it with their "One-to-One" service for $99, but it costs $99, takes up to 48hrs, they keep my computer while they do that, and I don't want the one-to one service when the only thing I'll use it for is the migration. So any ideas or walkthroughs of what to do? Thank you!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can restore from a Time Machine backup
    You can use Migration Assistant and a Time Machine backup
    You can use Migration Assistant and Target Disk Mode
    You can clone your drive with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and clone to your new computer

There are other ways, but this will give you a start

3. Dviper27 macrumors member

If you bring both computers up to the Apple store, they will be glad to do it! They did it for me!

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Dviper, see above. How long ago was that? I know it was free for some recent models in 2007 when I last bought a new Mac, but it wasn't free for me then because I was migrating from a "legacy" desktop G3. I jumped from 9.2.2 to 10.5.1

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend you uninstall MacKeeper completely, as it's useless and potentially problematic for your Mac. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.