How can I move imovie 2009 to imove 2017?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ploppy777, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Ploppy777 macrumors newbie

Just got a new Imac to replace my 2009 mac. I have everything on an external hard drive. But there are quite a lot of imovie related folders and I don't know which one to copy over or where to put them in the new mac. Any ideas? Many thanks.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Depends. Which version of iMovie were you using on the old Mac?

3. Ploppy777 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ploppy777 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. Old version is 8.0.6. I have it all backed up on a hard drive. How do I put all my imovie stuff into the latest version?

5. Ploppy777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone give some advice is possible please.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Patience, Ploppy. People come here to offer advice when they can.

I know that the latest version of iMovie, iMovie10, will import Projects and Events from the previous version, iMovie v9(also known as iMovie11). I don't know if it will do that with iMovie 8.

So, just copy the iMovie folders from your external drive into the Movies Folder inside your Home Folder on your new Mac. Run the latest iMovie on the new Mac. If it can import your old iMovie stuff, it will ask you. If it doesn't, then it can't.

Did you not use Migration Assistant to move all your stuff from the old Mac to the new one?

7. Ploppy777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. Apologies for being inpatient. Thank you for your help. I tried mirgataion assistant but my old mac could not find my new one so gave us and went the external drive route. Everything went across fine. I will give it a go in the way you suggest. Cheers!

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'll be offline for a few days now, incase you ave any other questions. Back on Monday.