How can I not pay the ETF for AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lambo, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lambo macrumors regular

Hi. :)

Is there any secret ways to bypass the ETF?

Yes, I'm a poor and pathetic person; therefore, I need to know.

Sincerest thanks,

lambo

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It's pretty simple to do:

Step 1: Don't sign up in the first place if you can't keep a commitment.
    Step 2: Enjoy your freedom!

3. JWages macrumors regular

You can stay in your contract until the price of something goes up. Then you say you don't agree with the increase, and you terminate your contract free of charge.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Or you simply don't pay the fee, ruin your credit and you can't get another phone through AT&T.

5. gibbyparada macrumors newbie

Umm...agree

You knew what you were getting into. The only way I would be forgiving, is if you happen to hit some real difficulty, but if it is to just get out, and sell it, or, because you took little to no insight on the cost of maintaing your service, tough luck.

6. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

Well my purpose has always been to unlock iPhone 3G for use in T-mobile USA (That's my own business). I bought iPhone on 12th of July and payed 312 with tax for the 16gb iPhone. After I received my first bill 26 days after, I saw that I was being charged 172 when I had signed up for the cheapest service of 69.99 with no text messages. I called and I fought until I got the prorated charges removed and my bill was lowered to 125 (first month, activation fee, and taxes). After the 30th day of having iphone I called to cancel contract and I was told I still had time to return it to get money back, I lied and said Apple store nor At&T refused to take the phone back since the 30 days passed. The representative took notes, contacted another Apple store nearby and they were willing to take phone back. I lied again and said I will keep my contract for a while since I would exchange my phone with my mom and she will keep the iphone" (Right.....) I called the next day, the 31st after having iphone and was told I was still on my 30th day and had to return the phone, I repeated the story that 2 apple stores and At&T store did not accept it for money back. I said I couldn't return it today because I had to go to the airport in a few minutes and wouldn't return for a year (I lied again). I was told I had to pay to keep the phone an Early Termination fee of 175, but then I asked to speak with the manager and I argued that apple and At&T refused to take the phone back when it was still under the 30 days to return it. They charged me no ETF in the end after realizing it was their own mistake (I feel a little guilty)

COnclusion: I kept the phone, activated, will be able to unlock it soon, and I only payed 312+125= 437 for a 16GB White iPhone. YAY

I MIGHT sell it on eBay for $900 dollars I'm not sure yet. but I'm happy because Apple has given me the opportunity to make my own business. A couple of Months ago I bought 20 16gb First generation iPhones I unlocked, sold them and made a profit of more than 4,000 dollars. Do I feel guilty? No Because AT&T and Apple also have their business schemes as they charge fees for every stupid thing and since they make you go through hell when you need simple service just because they can't do things right in the first place. The 3G iPhone I kept I had to exchange it 4 times till I got to the one in almost perfect condition, Not fair when you pay so much for their products.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sad that people can have so little in morals.

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

And yet somehow comforting that they are dumb enough to brag about their crimes in such a public and traceable way.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Also sad that people like this don;t realize they're the reason it's such a bitch to return products a lot of the time. I mean, it's not like Apple or AT&T tricked you into getting the phone, misled you about the plan, or twisted your arm to sign the contract.

10. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

No I knew what I was doing, my purpose was to cancel contract and unlock the phone, I just acted smart to not be ripped off so much by stupid fees. They are not angels either, most of their phones have manufacturing defects anyway and most of the time they don't even do anything about it when its listed that warranty is included.

11. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

So you expect At&t or Apple to read here and investigate. Get over it, the world isn't so small.

12. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I agree this is sad. Lying and committing fraud and you are proud of the fact. But as others have said, the really brilliant part is that you have come on to a public forum and bragged about it. And people wonder why the country is in the state it is in.:(

13. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

What state in this country are you referring to? Gas prices? Bad education? I thought that was the presidents fault. Like I said before if I came here to share an experience call it bragging, whatever. It is what it is. Unless you can find my info you can report me, because I don't think the world is small enough for AT&T to hunt me down on this forum

14. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

Oh also those who jailbroke the phone are going to hell too, because they've commited fraud and have no morals. You agree to not unlock the phone when you signed contract so you have scammed Apple/At&T...oh no what is the world coming to, this is the reason this country is the wait it is.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I blame the telemarketers, used car salesmen, and lawyers for the country going to hell.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I blame Steve Jobs! :D

Have a great night people.

17. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

I agree with you. THough you also forgot big, ambitious, and greedy corporations.

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i call BS, parts of the story don't add up. go and troll somewhere else

19. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking and unlocking are not the same as what you have done. Neither of these things in and of themselves deprives Apple or AT&T of anything. If I do either, I may break my contract with AT&T and void my warranty with Apple, but neither act defrauds either company.

Now if I were to jailbreak and/or unlock my iPhone and brick it during the process and then go into Apple asking for a replacement under warranty then that would be akin to what you have so proudly proclaimed doing. It is wrong.

But none of this really matters as a person such as yourself will just come up with on justification after another for your behavior.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We have closed this thread because of insults and rude posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.