How can I open multiple files within multiple folders in an app at once?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by EyeAmLuv, Apr 4, 2014.

1. EyeAmLuv macrumors newbie

I would like to open several hundred files in an app at once for further processing. Each file is located in an extra folder. I know how to open those hundreds of folders with one click, however, I would have to add each file to the app manually.

I've attached a screen shot as an example. Is there a way to add all files to the app with one click without having to go the extra mile? Is that something Automator could do? I'm not familiar with that.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 808? macrumors 6502a

have you tried dragging the main folder onto the app?

3. EyeAmLuv thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, the app doesn't support that behavior.

4. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

How about opening the the initial folder by clicking on the reveal arrow with option key held down, which as you know will open all the subfolders, then select all Cmd A and open them all at once with Cmd O

5. EyeAmLuv thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the reveal arrow. Also, there is no direct initial folder. Each file is located in its very own folder. So the initial folder would be that one. And that is exactly my problem here.

6. inscrewtable, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Looking at your posted screenshot for example, let's say that the 'Main Folder' is on your Desktop. Go to your Home folder and make sure you are in List View, not Column View as per your screenshot. You will now see the Main Folder sitting in your Desktop folder and because you are in List View and there are other folders inside there will be a little triangle next to it indicating that it can be opened. If you click that arrow with the option key held down you will be inside the Main Folder and all three subfolders will also be open. Now you can select everything, with Cmd A, what will select All the files and All the folders, it doesn't matter that all the folders are selected what is important is that all the files in all the subfolders are also selected. Then it's just a matter of opening them all with Cmd O.

If there are other folders around it so you can't Select All, then just select all by clicking on the Main folder then hold down the Shift key and scroll down to the last item and click it which will select everything in the Main folder.

I should add that not only will all the files be opened in the associated application but all the sub folders will be opened too, however they can all be closed in one go by shutting one of them with the Option key held down.

7. EyeAmLuv thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah man, I couldn't see the wood for the trees. You just saved me a lot of frustration. I should consider the list view, including shortcuts, more often—it's just I don't need it very often. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate!