How can I paint on glass?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spanky Deluxe, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Fairly random question, I know!

In our spare bedroom we have a built in wardrobe that's currently got mirrored sliding doors. Its not a completely clear mirror and is kind of yellowy and smokey to look at, which we don't really like. If it were just clear and simple mirrored glass then we'd be happy with it.
    Since its all built in, it would cost a pretty penny to get a whole new wardrobe fitted and so I'm wondering if there's a way to paint the doors bright white with some kind of glass paint. The doors can come out pretty easily and I have the space outside to paint / spray paint them white but I don't know what kind of products to use or how to do it.

Maybe someone here happens to have a more advanced knowledge of paints and painting stuff like this? Worth a shot I thought!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You won't be able to use just regular paint for it obviously, as it chips off incredibly easily, apart from hideously expensive arts & crafts glass paint, you'd be better off just leaving it as it is.

3. Lau Guest

I think most paint would chip off. Could you stick white vinyl to them instead? I saw a blog post recently about someone who had covered their kitchen floor with white vinyl and then drawn over it, which could look amazing on a wardrobe. I'll try and find the post.

Edit: Here it is.

kitchenfloordoodling1.jpg

Link to more pictures and blog post.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use proper glass paints. That site looks good in terms of advice and ideas...

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wow, that floor that Lau posted looks amazing. Are you not tempted?!

It looks like glass paints would get quite expensive, I envisaged using some kind of spray paint. Its certainly looking like a vinyl cover would beed a cheaper and better option. Can't cost too much, can it!!

Cheers guys! :)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The other option would be to get them re-glazed with proper non-yellow mirrors (or even white glass which is a very modern look). This might not be all that expensive...

Also should you not update your location?

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is the mirror backed with some wood to form the back of the door. If so you could perhaps smash the mirror/take it off. Or maybe turn the door around and paint the backing.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Do you have any pictures of the area so we can get a better idea? Also, that floor gives me a headache. OY.

9. smartin684 macrumors newbie

I like that idea. Turning the doors around sounds like the best way to go.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you want something permanent, you could find somebody to sandblast it and give it a frosted look.

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As shocking as this may be we don't have Home Depot in the UK :p B&Q are probably our closest alternative...

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Trouble with white vinyl might be avoiding the air bubbles and if a future buyer likes smoked glass, it's going to be tough to remove.

I have another suggestion for you that I'm planning on doing to my flat's door. Find some fabulous fabric that works with the rest of the decor and cover the mirrors with that. Double-sided sticky tape around the edges of the mirror and then the fabric (folded to avoid fraying) over it. Could look fabulous with the right material. And has the advantage that when you come to move on, you can restore the mirrors quite easily.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I would try something acrylic based. A few coats of gesso might do the trick.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Why not use one of those Easy-hang wallpapers ?

they are like giant stickers but not stickyness left behind

and they 'stick' to almost any surface.

and come off easily too.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

vinyl cover or simply applying a cheap window tint might work in you want to go from a yellow mirror to a smoky or dark black one.

17. Lau Guest

I just found this and thought of you! :D

18. iGav macrumors G3

iGav's Tip Of The Day :D

Spray the surface with glass cleaner first, then stick the vinyl down, the glass cleaner allows you to reposition the vinyl, slide it around and eek out all the air bubbles, before the glass cleaner eventually dries/evaporates and leaves a pristine, bubble free surface. ;)

Though I'm liking your fabric suggestion... I recently picked up some Arne Jacobsen fabric from a Bric-a-brac shop for pence... when it's actually worth pounds. :D

19. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

If you want it fully covered (not at all translucent), seal it with an acrylic gesso, then maybe Kilz surface primer. If those two coats held, you could paint on it with whatever medium you'd like.