How Can I Permanently Eliminate Apple Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by visvaldis, Apr 6, 2012.

1. visvaldis macrumors member

I have G4, MDD.
    My wife replied to a job site which used Apple mail. I didn't know she'd use it and couldn't warn her.
    Now the critter is stuck. The Apple Mail document is in the dock. The mail will not send. The mail document will not allow itself to be closed, the Mail Quit (in the Apple menu) has no effect. The stupid mail icon keeps jumping up and down from the dock. It's annoying, I'd like to point at shotgun at it and be rid of that useless POS forever.
    Whenever I encounter those I write down their email address and use gmail - it works.
    Anyone how to get rid of Apple mail? I'd really appreciate it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can do one of the following (all will work):
    • Hold the Option key down and right-click on the Mail app icon on the Dock, then select Force Quit. You may have to do this a couple times.
    • Press Command-Option-Esc or click  > Force Quit, then select Mail and Force Quit
    • Launch Activity Monitor, select the Mail app, then Force Quit it.
    You don't need to get rid of the Mail app. You just need to find out why it's not responding, because that's not normal. Mail works quite well, especially with Gmail accounts, if it's set up properly.

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

My guess is that you do not have apple mail configured properly, and, you have it configured to be your default email client.

If you have a different email client you prefer - you have to tell your mac this.

Perhaps ironically you have to use apple mail tool to do this.

Open apple mail. select preferences from the "mail" menu.
    click the "general" tab. Select your "default email reader".
    Then from now on when you select a "mailto" link it will open
    your default email client.

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon