Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
Hello everyone!

I am going to buy my first apple computer ever, when they release the haswell rMBP, pretty excited about that. I've been reading alot about the old generation retina macbook pro (pro's and cons) and I got some concern

youtube video

Found some topics about this problem (watch youtube link above).. What I understand is that some small sand particles or debris on your keyboard can cause some "dots" in your screen when you close the lid, ending up like you have a dead pixel..

Are there more people here that experienced this? Any advice how to prevent this from happening on my future retina device? Cause my OCD wouldnt stop noticing this :(

Thanks ahead

Last edited:

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I have those little dots as well, but they are unnoticeable.

I can only see them with the screen off and by shining a bright light onto the screen.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
If you are worry about what will might happen with your rMBP then get AppleCare. I am not sure if it will only cover scratched screen? :apple:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
If you are worry about what will might happen with your rMBP then get AppleCare. I am not sure if it will only cover scratched screen? :apple:

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage.

To the OP: keep the laptop clean. If there is something on the keyboard or on the screen, that's large enough to cause damage, you should see it with a quick look before you close the lid.

The rMBP screen is IMHO not easier to scratch or damage, than any other laptop screens out there. So don't worry too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.