How can I program "F" keys?

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I'm new to Apple computers. I was wondering if there's a way to program the F keys for a specific function (such as putting the computer in sleep mode). I would like to have F19 perform the sleep function. How do I program it to do that?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I use onekey for things like this.

There is a shortcut to put your computer to sleep which is cmd+option+escape.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
in System Preferences, goto the Energy Saver control panel. click the Options tab, and turn on the "Allow Power button to sleep the computer" check-box.

if you have a Cinema Display, going to the Displays control panel, and clicking the Options tab has a simmilar option for the Display power button (ie, it toggles between turning the display on and off, and sleeping/waking the computer).

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
not built in, you'd need to use a third party tool. you know you can set the power button to put the computer to sleep, right?
I didn't know that, I'll try that. Also, what third party software is there to program the keys?

Side note...... You would think that with 19 "F" keys that Apple would allow you to program them...:confused:

gameguy3001

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
you can assign them to any menu action (either for all apps or a specific one) with a modifier (ie, Shift, Option, Command or Control)..
Actually, thats not true. Using System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts, I've customized a lot of commands with just the F keys and no modifier. I have Safari set so F1 opens a new window and F2 opens a new tab.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
holy cow, there ya go. it always used to need a modifier. (maybe 10.3?)

so you COULD make a F19 equivelant to "Sleep" for All applications.. note that each app needs to restart before this will take effect (including the finder)