How can I program "F" keys?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I'm new to Apple computers. I was wondering if there's a way to program the F keys for a specific function (such as putting the computer in sleep mode). I would like to have F19 perform the sleep function. How do I program it to do that?

2. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

3. pengu macrumors 6502a

not built in, you'd need to use a third party tool. you know you can set the power button to put the computer to sleep, right?

4. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

have you looked in system preferences/keyboard shortcuts/keyboard navigation?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use onekey for things like this.

There is a shortcut to put your computer to sleep which is cmd+option+escape.

6. DA-Steve macrumors regular

how do you do this?? thats awesome

7. pengu macrumors 6502a

in System Preferences, goto the Energy Saver control panel. click the Options tab, and turn on the "Allow Power button to sleep the computer" check-box.

if you have a Cinema Display, going to the Displays control panel, and clicking the Options tab has a simmilar option for the Display power button (ie, it toggles between turning the display on and off, and sleeping/waking the computer).

8. headhammer macrumors regular

um, just press it...
    (briefly, don't hold it down)

9. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I didn't know that, I'll try that. Also, what third party software is there to program the keys?

Side note...... You would think that with 19 "F" keys that Apple would allow you to program them...:confused:

10. pengu macrumors 6502a

you can assign some of them to built in functions, like Exposé functions, or Dashboard and you can assign them to any menu action (either for all apps or a specific one) with a modifier (ie, Shift, Option, Command or Control)..

to assign them on their own, here are a few options:
    http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/apps?f=hotkey

11. gameguy3001 macrumors member

Actually, thats not true. Using System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts, I've customized a lot of commands with just the F keys and no modifier. I have Safari set so F1 opens a new window and F2 opens a new tab.

12. pengu macrumors 6502a

holy cow, there ya go. it always used to need a modifier. (maybe 10.3?)

so you COULD make a F19 equivelant to "Sleep" for All applications.. note that each app needs to restart before this will take effect (including the finder)