How can I put back that Oleophobic coating back on my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

My screen feels... stiff while my iPhone 4S feels somewhat smoother.

Can anyone help me get my iPad 2's screen smooth with advice?

Thanks guys!

2. Captain America macrumors 6502

I just got one within the last 24 hours and it definitely doesn't even seem to have an oleo phobic coating. It's absolutely loves fingerprints. Moreso than the 4S at the very least.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Monster creates a cleaner which adds a fingerprint resistant layer over the screen. Actually works fairly well. Use it once every few days and it keeps the screen smudge free. Apple sells it ,it's called Clean Touch.

4. Captain America macrumors 6502

Holy crap I did not kmow about that. Is it expensive?

EDIT: just looked into it. Doesn't seem all that great based on the two Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CleanTouch-iPod-iPhone-iPad/dp/B003WQMYN0

5. Ecoh, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have been using this product on my 27" iMac screen and on my flat screen tv. It does put some sort of coating on the screen. It seems to make the screens shed dust easier. I actually like it better than water, but it is a little more work. If you polish the screen well after spraying it on, there will be no streaks and the screen feels very smooth.

If you don't shake up the bottle well there will be some sort of waxy substance on the bottom of the bottle, and it will clog the sprayer.

http://www.amazon.com/Klear-Screen-iKlear-Complete-Cleaning/dp/B0023WU6OI/ref=pd_cp_e_4

I bought the large size bottle which is much more economical than the small spray bottle.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I always attributed the stiff feeling to Apple's oleophobic coating, which I notice playing games; I noticed it right away when I first got my 3GS. This is why I started using screen protectors to make it smooth. I never had to do this with my pre-3GS iPhones. It is noticible to me when comparing my still used 3GS to my old first gen.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If one takes care to keep the screen clean on a regular basis, there's no need to waste money on the "special" cleaners they sell. It's all a sham.

Buy an inexpensive microfiber cloth (sold everywhere) and moisten it with plain water. Wipe the screen and watch as it picks up all dust & debris. Leaving the screen like new. The cloth is washable & reusable. Nothing works like microfiber.

The oleophobic coating is very durable unless you've taken sand paper to it. I've got two year old iPhones that still look like new and I carry them in my pocket without a screen protector. I spend a minute each day giving them a quick wipe with a dry microfiber cloth. As a result I rarely have to use water to moisten one unless something is on the screen that requires some moisture on the cloth to remove.

It's as simple as that.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its not as simple as that.

I always keep my screen's cleen, but my finger doesn't move as smoothly on my 3GS' olephobic coating as it did on my original iPhone; I also noticed this on my iPhone 4. Its not really noticible when doing regular tasks, but when I have to move my thumbs slightly during gaming I feel them stick a bit before releasing. I don't think its the screen coating's fault, probably something to do with my skin. Regardless, a smotth plastic screen protectore fixed the issue for me, and that spray might also fix it, albit without the slight screen distortion my protector causes.

Even if its psychomatic and the user feels like the issue is fixed when nothing realy changed, there's no harm in that. This country will never get out of its recession without people buying things they feel they need. :D